Former Canes wide receiver back at UM for liberal arts degree

The first time around the goal was to get to the next level: the NFL.

That mission was accomplished. But something was left unfinished.

On the verge of turning 38 years old, Lamar Thomas has decided to step back into the college scene – not as an athlete, but as a student.

Thomas is looking to fulfill an obligation to a loved one.

“I promised my grandmother that I would get my degree,” Thomas said. “I wish I could have got it back then, but now I am going to get it. To finally see her with a smile on her face will be really special to me.”

Thomas didn’t receive his degree when he was here in the late ’80s and early ’90s. Now, he’s back in full force.

Perhaps best known for his comments made during the Miami-FIU football brawl in 2006,Thomas was an exceptional athlete for the Hurricanes, setting a then-school record of all time career receptions and is second in touchdown receptions. He also captured a pair of National Championships in 1989 and 1991.

Thomas was a third round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spent six seasons in the NFL, three with the Bucs and three with the Miami Dolphins.

Now, Thomas is a humbled student back on campus, searching for his liberal arts degree.

“[UM] has always been a beautiful campus. It is great to be back,” said Thomas. “To be in class, it feels like a whole different atmosphere. I really enjoy being in class.”

The first time around, Thomas didn’t know exactly what to expect from college, which caused for some indecision.

“When I first came here I changed my major like a thousands times,” Thomas said. “I wanted to become an accountant. That happens so much with people switching majors. Things have definitely changed.”

Thomas is becoming accustomed to being just like any other college student, even by joining social networking websites like MySpace and Facebook, something that wasn’t around during his first excursion in college.

“Technology has really changed since I had been in school. Really, my brother got me into Facebook,” Thomas said. “Facebook is a great way for me to network. I am able to talk to my old buddies that I haven’t talked to for a while.”

Besides being a student, Thomas is also an employee for the university, working for the Hurricane Club. This semester, Thomas has been spending majority of his time at the men’s basketball games. Even at basketball games, students rag on Thomas.

“I had my blazer on, looking all professional. I just got teased for [wearing]it.”

The teasing doesn’t stop there.

“Someone called me grandpa [around campus],” Thomas said, laughing. “It is funny. Most of the college students are half my age. I ask myself, ‘How can I relate to them, I’m 38?'”

Despite the jabs, Thomas views his second time around, and the life lessons that came in between, as a blessing, not a curse.

“I am way more mature now,” Thomas said. “In life, as you get older and experience more than the better, you understand something. You don’t realize that how important it is to go to class until you’re older. Now, I enjoy going to class and learning.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...