Events on campus

Party for politics

Sporting “Voters are Sexy” orange T-shirts, members of the Council for Democracy hosted a primary watch party Tuesday night. When students weren’t attentively watching the election results scroll on the TV screen or eating slices of pizza, they played political-themed Jeopardy and bingo. Miles Strebeck, the Council for Democracy event chair, said the intention of the event was “to get people involved and provide a fun party atmosphere and time for discussion.”

Historical children’s books

The Cuban Heritage Collection opened its new exhibit at the Richter Library on Thursday, “200 Years of Cuban Children’s Books.” Books from various decades with colorful illustrations were on display while guest speaker Antonio Orlando Rodriguéz gave a presentation about Cuban children’s authors and their contributions to the literary genre, as well as discussing the moral, educational, cultural and religious importance of their work.

Get your groove on for charity

Students turned out Saturday for the “Zumba Groove and Move for Charity” at the Wellness Center, where participants enjoyed learning popular new Latin dance routines while getting a vigorous cardio workout. Proceeds were donated to the United Way, an organization that works to mobilize community projects to improve the living standards of people in need.

Taking a shot at love

From a Boston terrier to the current Miss Miami, everyone had a shot at love during the Asian American Student Association’s annual charity date auction Friday night at Clarke Recital Hall. Close to 100 UM and FIU students showed that they were not cheap dates, while shouting out bids ranging from $25 to $170. More than $1,500 was raised during the event, which will go to the American Cancer Society.

UBS hosts scholarship pageant

Five University of Miami students competed in the Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant last Thursday, answering questions ranging from the economy to Barack Obama’s presidential campaign. “This pageant is a symbol of our pride for the achievements the African Diaspora has contributed to society,” said Islamiyat Adebisi, President of the Office of United Black Students. This year’s theme was “The Evolution of Black,” and the winner was Richina Bicette. TheMiamiHurricane.com has the complete story.

-Compiled by Stephanie Genuardi, Analisa Harangozo and Nina Ruggiero

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...