Events on campus

Party for politics

Sporting “Voters are Sexy” orange T-shirts, members of the Council for Democracy hosted a primary watch party Tuesday night. When students weren’t attentively watching the election results scroll on the TV screen or eating slices of pizza, they played political-themed Jeopardy and bingo. Miles Strebeck, the Council for Democracy event chair, said the intention of the event was “to get people involved and provide a fun party atmosphere and time for discussion.”

Historical children’s books

The Cuban Heritage Collection opened its new exhibit at the Richter Library on Thursday, “200 Years of Cuban Children’s Books.” Books from various decades with colorful illustrations were on display while guest speaker Antonio Orlando Rodriguéz gave a presentation about Cuban children’s authors and their contributions to the literary genre, as well as discussing the moral, educational, cultural and religious importance of their work.

Get your groove on for charity

Students turned out Saturday for the “Zumba Groove and Move for Charity” at the Wellness Center, where participants enjoyed learning popular new Latin dance routines while getting a vigorous cardio workout. Proceeds were donated to the United Way, an organization that works to mobilize community projects to improve the living standards of people in need.

Taking a shot at love

From a Boston terrier to the current Miss Miami, everyone had a shot at love during the Asian American Student Association’s annual charity date auction Friday night at Clarke Recital Hall. Close to 100 UM and FIU students showed that they were not cheap dates, while shouting out bids ranging from $25 to $170. More than $1,500 was raised during the event, which will go to the American Cancer Society.

UBS hosts scholarship pageant

Five University of Miami students competed in the Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant last Thursday, answering questions ranging from the economy to Barack Obama’s presidential campaign. “This pageant is a symbol of our pride for the achievements the African Diaspora has contributed to society,” said Islamiyat Adebisi, President of the Office of United Black Students. This year’s theme was “The Evolution of Black,” and the winner was Richina Bicette. TheMiamiHurricane.com has the complete story.

-Compiled by Stephanie Genuardi, Analisa Harangozo and Nina Ruggiero

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...