Country’s largest ‘teach-in’ focused on global warming

The University of Miami participated in the largest teach-in in United States history last week, which focused on global-warming solutions.

Focus the Nation occurred at more than 1,000 universities in all 50 states. The event began on Wednesday night at the Cox Science Building where Sustainable U hosted a viewing of the “2% Solution” Web cast.

Throughout Thursday morning and afternoon on the UC patio, there were panel presentations by UM faculty members on the topics of national security and global climate change, environmental history and pedagogy, sustainable architecture and urbanism, environmental decision making and sea level rise and the law.

The event concluded with a “Green Democracy” round-table discussion between students and elected leaders Thursday night.

The Environmental Decision Making panel drew approximately 60 students and community members. The panelists included College of Engineering professor Antonio Nanni, biology professor Matthew Potts, and Department of Geography and Regional Studies research associate Rinku Chowdhury.

Chowdhury emphasized that it is “unequivocal that climate change is real,” and though there are averages predicted with relation to sea level rise, the impacts will be “geographically uneven.”

A Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science professor in the audience noted that a recent report concluded that the infrastructure most at risk due to rising sea level is that of the city of Miami.

Potts stressed that the “decisions we make today will have ramifications far, far away, but there are ways to mitigate it [global warming].”

He recommended students take small steps such as taking shorter showers and not idling in the car with the air conditioning on.

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...