AASA’s A Shot at Love Date Auction

White paper “XOXs” littered the industrial gray carpet of the Clarke Recital Hall during last Friday’s “A Shot at Love” date auction.

The date auction is an annual event hosted by the Asian American Student Association, whose proceeds go to different charities every year. Half of last year’s earnings – about $1,000 – went to the American Heart Association. This year, a portion of the proceeds will be granted to the American Cancer Society. The rest of the money will be funneled back to fundraising for the AASA’s numerous cultural events in hopes of unifying the Asian community.

One of the features of the date auction included a game of suck-and-blow. The winner, Khiem Nguyen, was blindfolded as he waited on stage for Kitty to give him his “reward.” To his dismay and the noisy laughter of the audience, his reward was Keith Preciados, a University of Miami student, who ripped through the paper heart and danced across the stage.

The night’s festivities did not stop there. After every challenge, a series of auctions took place, among which some of the more colorful performances of the evening took place.

Garbed in their traditional Raas costumes, Janki Amin and Roma Mehta performed a duet neo-modern Indian dance.

Miss Miami herself, Tera Szczepanski, sang Miss Saigon’s Last Night of the World in her crown and decorative sash.

UM’s very own Mag Ka Isa dance troupe broke it down to Daft Punk’s Technologic.

There were off beat routines like Khiem Nguyen’s beat boxing, David Goldberg’s flamboyant strip tease, and a group of FIU students who break danced to the beat of the audience’s claps.

As the auction came to an end, those that got auctioned off exchanged phone numbers with the person that bought them with the intention of setting up a date. And who knows, maybe love really awaits those lucky couples.

Ivette Figueroa may be contacted at i.figueroa@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...