AASA’s A Shot at Love Date Auction

White paper “XOXs” littered the industrial gray carpet of the Clarke Recital Hall during last Friday’s “A Shot at Love” date auction.

The date auction is an annual event hosted by the Asian American Student Association, whose proceeds go to different charities every year. Half of last year’s earnings – about $1,000 – went to the American Heart Association. This year, a portion of the proceeds will be granted to the American Cancer Society. The rest of the money will be funneled back to fundraising for the AASA’s numerous cultural events in hopes of unifying the Asian community.

One of the features of the date auction included a game of suck-and-blow. The winner, Khiem Nguyen, was blindfolded as he waited on stage for Kitty to give him his “reward.” To his dismay and the noisy laughter of the audience, his reward was Keith Preciados, a University of Miami student, who ripped through the paper heart and danced across the stage.

The night’s festivities did not stop there. After every challenge, a series of auctions took place, among which some of the more colorful performances of the evening took place.

Garbed in their traditional Raas costumes, Janki Amin and Roma Mehta performed a duet neo-modern Indian dance.

Miss Miami herself, Tera Szczepanski, sang Miss Saigon’s Last Night of the World in her crown and decorative sash.

UM’s very own Mag Ka Isa dance troupe broke it down to Daft Punk’s Technologic.

There were off beat routines like Khiem Nguyen’s beat boxing, David Goldberg’s flamboyant strip tease, and a group of FIU students who break danced to the beat of the audience’s claps.

As the auction came to an end, those that got auctioned off exchanged phone numbers with the person that bought them with the intention of setting up a date. And who knows, maybe love really awaits those lucky couples.

Ivette Figueroa may be contacted at i.figueroa@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...