AASA’s A Shot at Love Date Auction

White paper “XOXs” littered the industrial gray carpet of the Clarke Recital Hall during last Friday’s “A Shot at Love” date auction.

The date auction is an annual event hosted by the Asian American Student Association, whose proceeds go to different charities every year. Half of last year’s earnings – about $1,000 – went to the American Heart Association. This year, a portion of the proceeds will be granted to the American Cancer Society. The rest of the money will be funneled back to fundraising for the AASA’s numerous cultural events in hopes of unifying the Asian community.

One of the features of the date auction included a game of suck-and-blow. The winner, Khiem Nguyen, was blindfolded as he waited on stage for Kitty to give him his “reward.” To his dismay and the noisy laughter of the audience, his reward was Keith Preciados, a University of Miami student, who ripped through the paper heart and danced across the stage.

The night’s festivities did not stop there. After every challenge, a series of auctions took place, among which some of the more colorful performances of the evening took place.

Garbed in their traditional Raas costumes, Janki Amin and Roma Mehta performed a duet neo-modern Indian dance.

Miss Miami herself, Tera Szczepanski, sang Miss Saigon’s Last Night of the World in her crown and decorative sash.

UM’s very own Mag Ka Isa dance troupe broke it down to Daft Punk’s Technologic.

There were off beat routines like Khiem Nguyen’s beat boxing, David Goldberg’s flamboyant strip tease, and a group of FIU students who break danced to the beat of the audience’s claps.

As the auction came to an end, those that got auctioned off exchanged phone numbers with the person that bought them with the intention of setting up a date. And who knows, maybe love really awaits those lucky couples.

Ivette Figueroa may be contacted at i.figueroa@umiami.edu.

Good day to everyone. The sun had just risen and those fax machines were already humming. The first ...

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Students in a School of Architecture design studio addressed some of Miami’s most intractable proble ...

Miami Law's Human Rights Clinic is intervening in a case focused on the issue of accountability ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...