You’re pregnant?! i’m over it

V,

I am on birth control pills and I use a condom every time I have sex with someone. I am late by five days for my period and am completely flipping out. I called my good friend, who I know would be the father, and told him that I was scared. He acted as if I were being irrational and that I need to not bother him with my “issues.” His reasoning was that I am on the pill and we used a condom, therefore there’s nothing more I could have done, so why worry? Am I overreacting or am I justified in freaking out?

~Mother-to-Be?

Dear Mother-to-Be?,

OK, whoa. You think you may be pregnant with this guy’s child and he says it’s your problem? You’re sexually active, you’re five days late and he has you convinced that you’re overreacting? Who is this guy and why do you believe these lies?!

Last time I checked, no guy has any right to tell you what to think about your body, no less be so irresponsible so as to suggest that it’s not a possibility that you’re pregnant. Even if he honestly thinks you are overreacting and that you are simply late for your period, he should have the decency to be there for you because it’s his fault as much as it is your own.

At this point, it’s too late to take Plan B, but late enough to take an accurate pregnancy test. A pregnancy scare is probably one of the scariest things a college student can go through and hopefully you have the support of family and/or friends. Tell this guy that he cannot keep denying reality and that he should give support where support is due.

So no, you are absolutely not overreacting and yes, this is a big deal. Whether you are pregnant or not, this kind of scare shouldn’t be taken lightly. Because if you do, then that just gives you reason to be careless in the future without worry of the consequences.

I suggest you hope for the best and take a pregnancy test. If it’s positive, then you have a whole new set of concerns. If it’s negative (and I hope it is!), then you need to learn from this for future sexual encounters. Visit the health center and get tested for STDs (a good idea regardless of your pregnancy scare) and make sure to continue taking your pills and using condoms. In the best case scenario, you will have escaped this drama with a lesson about yourself and a lesson on the boys in your life who may need your renewed evaluation.

Best of luck!

Fact o’ the day: Each day, there are over 120 million acts of sexual intercourse taking place all over the world.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. Do it! All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...