What’s going on?

TODAY JANUARY 31

Learn more about how to get involved on campus at the Spring Involvement Fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the UC Green.

Michael Lasser will present, “East Side, West Side, All Around Town,” a musical lecture for art enthusiasts, followed by a reception. This event is free and open to the public, and it will take place from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum.

Focus The Nation will present the Green Roundtable, a discussion by students and politicians about global warming and its solutions. This event will take place at 8 p.m. in Cox Science Center’s main lecture hall (Rm. 126). Free food will be provided.

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 1

Celebrate the achievements and contributions of the African-American culture at the Black Awareness Month opening ceremonies at noon and 7 p.m. in the UC Lower Lounge.

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 2

Come watch UM students compete against 13 other universities at the 8th Annual English Horse Show, hosted by the UM Equestrian Team from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Tropical Park Equestrian. Admission is free and open to the public.

Get down on the dance floor for a good cause at the ZUMBA Groove and Move for Charity event. UM students pay $15; all proceeds will benefit United Way. This event will take place from 3 to 6 p.m. at Center Court in the Wellness Center.

SUNDAY FEBRUARY 3

Today is the last chance to catch the Afro-Cuba: Works on Paper exhibit at the Lowe Art Museum. The exhibit features 66 prints and drawings by artists from Havana and Santiago de Cuba. The museum is open from noon to 5 p.m.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...