Recruiting Part II: Analysis and player predictions

On offense, Miami has recruited well at wide receiver and quarterback, but it has only targeted one running back (Harper) who they believe is a stud. They look to be in the lead for his services at this point, and he will add to a deep stable of backs on the roster. Ben Jones becomes the other key offensive recruit left on the board, as he would give the Canes two solid offensive line prospects in this class. Look for Jones and Harper to sign with the Canes. Streeter will probably head out of state or to USF, and Randy Shannon will presumably choose between Moore, an athletic marvel at tight end, Byrd and Odoms for the last offensive scholarship.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Hurricanes have already loaded up at the linebacker and defensive tackle positions, strengthening the core of the defense that has been weak as of late. However, they are still looking to add at least two cornerbacks and another defensive end. The main targets are Liuget and Hardin to fill the need at defensive end, with both leaning toward the Canes at the moment.

At corner, the big three targets are Harris, Bryant and Lawrence, in that order. Harris is the number one prospect left on the Miami board, and Bryant and Lawrence are both studs who were once long shots but are now realistic options. Miami should get two of these three, as well as Baker and one of the California boys, as a safety.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

TO READ Recruiting Part I, click here..

TO READ read Dan Stein’s recruiting blog, The Future U, click here.

Expected targets for 2008 football class

RB

Jaime Harper (Trinity Christian High, Fla.) – Big, fast running back who could play right away in short yardage situations.

WR

Tommy Streeter (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Tall, lanky deep threat.

Laron Byrd (Hahnville High, La.) – Big and athletic, could turn into a tight end.

Martavious Odoms (Pahokee High, Fla.) -Very similar to Darnell Jenkins.

TE

Brandon Moore (Trotwood-Madison High, Ohio) – Huge red zone target.

OL

Ben Jones (Miami Northwestern High, Fla) – Long and athletic, he could be the sleeper of the class.

DL

Corey Liuget (Hialeah High, Fla.) – Liuget is a freak athlete on the line and one prospect that would hurt to lose.

Nick Perry (MLK Jr. High, Mich,) – Set state sack record but is a long-shot at best to leave home.

LB

Gavin Hardin (Central-Merry High, Tenn.) – Huge kid that projects at defensive end in college.

DB

T.J. Bryant (Lincoln High, Fla.) – Top athlete will be hard to steal from Nole territory.

Brandon Harris (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – The top prospect left on Miami’s board, he is a must-get.

Alonzo Lawrence (George County High, Miss.) – Elite prospect that has warmed to Miami as of late.

Vaughn Telemaque (Long Beach Polytechnic, Calif.) – Athletic safety prospect who has risen up recruiting boards as of late.

Herman Davidson (Long Beach Polytechnic, Calif.) – Big and athletic, could be a bandit-type linebacker or a big- hitting safety.

George Baker (Archbishop Carroll High School, Fla.) – Local target who makes plays despite diminutive stature.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...