Recruiting Part II: Analysis and player predictions

On offense, Miami has recruited well at wide receiver and quarterback, but it has only targeted one running back (Harper) who they believe is a stud. They look to be in the lead for his services at this point, and he will add to a deep stable of backs on the roster. Ben Jones becomes the other key offensive recruit left on the board, as he would give the Canes two solid offensive line prospects in this class. Look for Jones and Harper to sign with the Canes. Streeter will probably head out of state or to USF, and Randy Shannon will presumably choose between Moore, an athletic marvel at tight end, Byrd and Odoms for the last offensive scholarship.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Hurricanes have already loaded up at the linebacker and defensive tackle positions, strengthening the core of the defense that has been weak as of late. However, they are still looking to add at least two cornerbacks and another defensive end. The main targets are Liuget and Hardin to fill the need at defensive end, with both leaning toward the Canes at the moment.

At corner, the big three targets are Harris, Bryant and Lawrence, in that order. Harris is the number one prospect left on the Miami board, and Bryant and Lawrence are both studs who were once long shots but are now realistic options. Miami should get two of these three, as well as Baker and one of the California boys, as a safety.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

TO READ Recruiting Part I, click here..

TO READ read Dan Stein’s recruiting blog, The Future U, click here.

Expected targets for 2008 football class

RB

Jaime Harper (Trinity Christian High, Fla.) – Big, fast running back who could play right away in short yardage situations.

WR

Tommy Streeter (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Tall, lanky deep threat.

Laron Byrd (Hahnville High, La.) – Big and athletic, could turn into a tight end.

Martavious Odoms (Pahokee High, Fla.) -Very similar to Darnell Jenkins.

TE

Brandon Moore (Trotwood-Madison High, Ohio) – Huge red zone target.

OL

Ben Jones (Miami Northwestern High, Fla) – Long and athletic, he could be the sleeper of the class.

DL

Corey Liuget (Hialeah High, Fla.) – Liuget is a freak athlete on the line and one prospect that would hurt to lose.

Nick Perry (MLK Jr. High, Mich,) – Set state sack record but is a long-shot at best to leave home.

LB

Gavin Hardin (Central-Merry High, Tenn.) – Huge kid that projects at defensive end in college.

DB

T.J. Bryant (Lincoln High, Fla.) – Top athlete will be hard to steal from Nole territory.

Brandon Harris (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – The top prospect left on Miami’s board, he is a must-get.

Alonzo Lawrence (George County High, Miss.) – Elite prospect that has warmed to Miami as of late.

Vaughn Telemaque (Long Beach Polytechnic, Calif.) – Athletic safety prospect who has risen up recruiting boards as of late.

Herman Davidson (Long Beach Polytechnic, Calif.) – Big and athletic, could be a bandit-type linebacker or a big- hitting safety.

George Baker (Archbishop Carroll High School, Fla.) – Local target who makes plays despite diminutive stature.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...