Recruiting Part II: Analysis and player predictions

On offense, Miami has recruited well at wide receiver and quarterback, but it has only targeted one running back (Harper) who they believe is a stud. They look to be in the lead for his services at this point, and he will add to a deep stable of backs on the roster. Ben Jones becomes the other key offensive recruit left on the board, as he would give the Canes two solid offensive line prospects in this class. Look for Jones and Harper to sign with the Canes. Streeter will probably head out of state or to USF, and Randy Shannon will presumably choose between Moore, an athletic marvel at tight end, Byrd and Odoms for the last offensive scholarship.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Hurricanes have already loaded up at the linebacker and defensive tackle positions, strengthening the core of the defense that has been weak as of late. However, they are still looking to add at least two cornerbacks and another defensive end. The main targets are Liuget and Hardin to fill the need at defensive end, with both leaning toward the Canes at the moment.

At corner, the big three targets are Harris, Bryant and Lawrence, in that order. Harris is the number one prospect left on the Miami board, and Bryant and Lawrence are both studs who were once long shots but are now realistic options. Miami should get two of these three, as well as Baker and one of the California boys, as a safety.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

TO READ Recruiting Part I, click here..

TO READ read Dan Stein’s recruiting blog, The Future U, click here.

Expected targets for 2008 football class

RB

Jaime Harper (Trinity Christian High, Fla.) – Big, fast running back who could play right away in short yardage situations.

WR

Tommy Streeter (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Tall, lanky deep threat.

Laron Byrd (Hahnville High, La.) – Big and athletic, could turn into a tight end.

Martavious Odoms (Pahokee High, Fla.) -Very similar to Darnell Jenkins.

TE

Brandon Moore (Trotwood-Madison High, Ohio) – Huge red zone target.

OL

Ben Jones (Miami Northwestern High, Fla) – Long and athletic, he could be the sleeper of the class.

DL

Corey Liuget (Hialeah High, Fla.) – Liuget is a freak athlete on the line and one prospect that would hurt to lose.

Nick Perry (MLK Jr. High, Mich,) – Set state sack record but is a long-shot at best to leave home.

LB

Gavin Hardin (Central-Merry High, Tenn.) – Huge kid that projects at defensive end in college.

DB

T.J. Bryant (Lincoln High, Fla.) – Top athlete will be hard to steal from Nole territory.

Brandon Harris (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – The top prospect left on Miami’s board, he is a must-get.

Alonzo Lawrence (George County High, Miss.) – Elite prospect that has warmed to Miami as of late.

Vaughn Telemaque (Long Beach Polytechnic, Calif.) – Athletic safety prospect who has risen up recruiting boards as of late.

Herman Davidson (Long Beach Polytechnic, Calif.) – Big and athletic, could be a bandit-type linebacker or a big- hitting safety.

George Baker (Archbishop Carroll High School, Fla.) – Local target who makes plays despite diminutive stature.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...