Recruiting part I: Firm commitments

This article originally appeared online on Jan. 28, 2007

Quarterbacks

Jacory Harris (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Tall and skinny; was Mr. Football for the state of Florida. Enrolled in January in order to compete for the starting position.

Taylor Cook (Rice Consolidated High, Texas) – Huge QB prospect who is considered by some to be the most athletic player in this class.

Cannon Smith (Hargrave Military Academy, Va.) – Went the prep school route for a year after high school graduation and enrolled at UM in January.

Running Backs

Patrick Hill (El Camino Community College, Calif.) – Devastating lead blocker who should make an instant impact at fullback.

John Calhoun (Sebastian River High, Fla.) – Little-known recruit who can play multiple positions.

Wide Receivers

Aldarious Johnson (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – A very polished wide receiver who is big and fast. Enrolled in January; coaches think he could be an immediate starter.

Kendall Thompkins (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – The playmaker on the Northwestern team that was full of Division I recruits.

Davon Johnson (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – Blazingly fast and athletic, could also play cornerback and return kicks.

Thearon Collier (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – Undersized jitterbug who has drawn comparisons to former Hurricane Roscoe Parrish.

Travis Benjamin (Glades Central High, Fla.) – Undersized speedster who was a playmaker throughout his high school career.

Offensive Linemen

Brandon Washington (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Big man who projects as a guard in college after playing left tackle in high school.

Defensive Linemen

Marcus Forston (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – The number one ranked defensive tackle in the country who enrolled in January to compete for playing time.

Micanor Regis (Pahokee High, Fla.) – Dominant high school lineman who committed to the Canes early and never wavered.

Jeremy Lewis (Palm Beach Lakes High, Fla.) – Big and wide, Lewis is very athletic but a bit raw as a defensive tackle prospect.

Andrew Smith (Monarch High, Fla.) – Sleeper defensive end recruit whom coaches envision as a speed pass rusher.

Linebackers

Sean Spence (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Undersized, instinctive linebacker that enrolled in January in order to compete for starting time.

Arthur Brown (Wichita East High, Kan.) – Number one linebacker recruit in the nation according to many. Enrolled in January in order to compete for starting time.

Marcus Robinson (Homestead High, Fla.) – Freak athlete who could play linebacker or defensive end.

Zach Kane (North High, N.J.) – Big, tough linebacker who will compete for the middle linebacker job.

Brandon Marti (Gulliver Prep, Fla.) – Undersized but hits like a big man at linebacker.

Antonio Harper (Melrose High, Tenn.) – Tall and lean, probably projects as a defensive end in college.

Jordan Futch (Chaminade Madonna High, Fla.) – Tall, rangy prospect at linebacker.

Defensive Backs

CJ Holton (Wakulla High, Fla.) – One of the top safety recruits on the nation, he is big and fast in the defensive backfield.

Joe Wylie (Boyd Anderson High, Fla.) – Physical specimen that played quarterback in high school.

CJ Odom (Fort Myers High, Fla.) – Big and fast, Odom could be a linebacker, safety, or fullback.

Kickers

Jake Wieclaw (Lincoln Way Central High, Ill.) – Might have the biggest impact of any freshman this season after enrolling in January. Coaches expect him to be the starting kicker.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

TO READ “Recruiting part II,” click here.

TO READ Dan Stein’s recruiting blog, The Future U, click here.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...