Recruiting part I: Firm commitments

This article originally appeared online on Jan. 28, 2007

Quarterbacks

Jacory Harris (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Tall and skinny; was Mr. Football for the state of Florida. Enrolled in January in order to compete for the starting position.

Taylor Cook (Rice Consolidated High, Texas) – Huge QB prospect who is considered by some to be the most athletic player in this class.

Cannon Smith (Hargrave Military Academy, Va.) – Went the prep school route for a year after high school graduation and enrolled at UM in January.

Running Backs

Patrick Hill (El Camino Community College, Calif.) – Devastating lead blocker who should make an instant impact at fullback.

John Calhoun (Sebastian River High, Fla.) – Little-known recruit who can play multiple positions.

Wide Receivers

Aldarious Johnson (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – A very polished wide receiver who is big and fast. Enrolled in January; coaches think he could be an immediate starter.

Kendall Thompkins (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – The playmaker on the Northwestern team that was full of Division I recruits.

Davon Johnson (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – Blazingly fast and athletic, could also play cornerback and return kicks.

Thearon Collier (Booker T. Washington High, Fla.) – Undersized jitterbug who has drawn comparisons to former Hurricane Roscoe Parrish.

Travis Benjamin (Glades Central High, Fla.) – Undersized speedster who was a playmaker throughout his high school career.

Offensive Linemen

Brandon Washington (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Big man who projects as a guard in college after playing left tackle in high school.

Defensive Linemen

Marcus Forston (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – The number one ranked defensive tackle in the country who enrolled in January to compete for playing time.

Micanor Regis (Pahokee High, Fla.) – Dominant high school lineman who committed to the Canes early and never wavered.

Jeremy Lewis (Palm Beach Lakes High, Fla.) – Big and wide, Lewis is very athletic but a bit raw as a defensive tackle prospect.

Andrew Smith (Monarch High, Fla.) – Sleeper defensive end recruit whom coaches envision as a speed pass rusher.

Linebackers

Sean Spence (Miami Northwestern High, Fla.) – Undersized, instinctive linebacker that enrolled in January in order to compete for starting time.

Arthur Brown (Wichita East High, Kan.) – Number one linebacker recruit in the nation according to many. Enrolled in January in order to compete for starting time.

Marcus Robinson (Homestead High, Fla.) – Freak athlete who could play linebacker or defensive end.

Zach Kane (North High, N.J.) – Big, tough linebacker who will compete for the middle linebacker job.

Brandon Marti (Gulliver Prep, Fla.) – Undersized but hits like a big man at linebacker.

Antonio Harper (Melrose High, Tenn.) – Tall and lean, probably projects as a defensive end in college.

Jordan Futch (Chaminade Madonna High, Fla.) – Tall, rangy prospect at linebacker.

Defensive Backs

CJ Holton (Wakulla High, Fla.) – One of the top safety recruits on the nation, he is big and fast in the defensive backfield.

Joe Wylie (Boyd Anderson High, Fla.) – Physical specimen that played quarterback in high school.

CJ Odom (Fort Myers High, Fla.) – Big and fast, Odom could be a linebacker, safety, or fullback.

Kickers

Jake Wieclaw (Lincoln Way Central High, Ill.) – Might have the biggest impact of any freshman this season after enrolling in January. Coaches expect him to be the starting kicker.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

TO READ “Recruiting part II,” click here.

TO READ Dan Stein’s recruiting blog, The Future U, click here.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...