New rewards-based initiative Virgin HealthMiles encourages students to be active

The new red and white Virgin machine next to the C-store may look like just an oversized blood pressure machine, but it’s actually part of a campus-wide fitness initiative.

Virgin HealthMiles, a program that encourages people to engage in physical activity through a reward system, was brought to campus through an initiative by Student Government President Danny Carvajal, who learned of the program during a summer internship.

“It’s been a huge effort,” Carvajal said. “Just about everybody from Student Affairs, the Virgin folks and Student Government has been playing a key role.”

The program, which has a start-up fee of about $25 and a monthly fee of $5, encourages members to earn miles that can be redeemed for gift cards, discounts and other benefits.

Members earn miles by going to the HealthZone kiosk located near the C-store, which records blood pressure, weight and body fat, or by uploading information to the Virgin HealthMiles Web site.

All members receive a pedometer to record their daily amount of steps, which can also be uploaded at the kiosk or on the Web site to earn additional miles.

Although the program has been promoted through IBIS News and other campus information outlets since the start of spring semester, some students doubt the program will be popular.

“I think it’s a cool idea, but I’m not sure if many students are going to want to participate in the program,” said Alexa Lee, a junior. “It seems like some students might just do it so that they can earn a prize and then stop afterward.”

Other students are less skeptical of the new initiative.

“The program seems like a great idea because there hasn’t seen something like it here before,” said Stephanie Guedj, a sophomore. “It gives people a chance to get guidance they need.”

The Virgin HealthMiles program was formally launched yesterday at noon during a kick-off at the UC Patio.

Allison Worrell may be contacted at a.worrell@umiami.edu.

Nutrition Fair

January marks the month of resolution, but the Wellness Center staff and nutritionists celebrated a different type of resolution Tuesday.

The Healthy Resolutions Nutrition Fair was hosted in the UC ballrooms to inform faculty of the different programs that the University of Miami’s Employee Assistance Program provides. The EAP is a service provided for UM faculty, staff, retirees, spouses and dependents that provides free and confidential consultation with professionals. The EAP staff work out of the Plumer Building, located on Ponce de Leon Boulevard a block south of campus.

Visitors at the fair also received free blood screenings and information about different healthy eating programs such as Weight Watchers.

-Tania Leets

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...