New rewards-based initiative Virgin HealthMiles encourages students to be active

The new red and white Virgin machine next to the C-store may look like just an oversized blood pressure machine, but it’s actually part of a campus-wide fitness initiative.

Virgin HealthMiles, a program that encourages people to engage in physical activity through a reward system, was brought to campus through an initiative by Student Government President Danny Carvajal, who learned of the program during a summer internship.

“It’s been a huge effort,” Carvajal said. “Just about everybody from Student Affairs, the Virgin folks and Student Government has been playing a key role.”

The program, which has a start-up fee of about $25 and a monthly fee of $5, encourages members to earn miles that can be redeemed for gift cards, discounts and other benefits.

Members earn miles by going to the HealthZone kiosk located near the C-store, which records blood pressure, weight and body fat, or by uploading information to the Virgin HealthMiles Web site.

All members receive a pedometer to record their daily amount of steps, which can also be uploaded at the kiosk or on the Web site to earn additional miles.

Although the program has been promoted through IBIS News and other campus information outlets since the start of spring semester, some students doubt the program will be popular.

“I think it’s a cool idea, but I’m not sure if many students are going to want to participate in the program,” said Alexa Lee, a junior. “It seems like some students might just do it so that they can earn a prize and then stop afterward.”

Other students are less skeptical of the new initiative.

“The program seems like a great idea because there hasn’t seen something like it here before,” said Stephanie Guedj, a sophomore. “It gives people a chance to get guidance they need.”

The Virgin HealthMiles program was formally launched yesterday at noon during a kick-off at the UC Patio.

Allison Worrell may be contacted at a.worrell@umiami.edu.

Nutrition Fair

January marks the month of resolution, but the Wellness Center staff and nutritionists celebrated a different type of resolution Tuesday.

The Healthy Resolutions Nutrition Fair was hosted in the UC ballrooms to inform faculty of the different programs that the University of Miami’s Employee Assistance Program provides. The EAP is a service provided for UM faculty, staff, retirees, spouses and dependents that provides free and confidential consultation with professionals. The EAP staff work out of the Plumer Building, located on Ponce de Leon Boulevard a block south of campus.

Visitors at the fair also received free blood screenings and information about different healthy eating programs such as Weight Watchers.

-Tania Leets

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...