MTV selects young adults to cover ’08 election using multimedia

Traditionally, students have turned to news outlets such as CNN, MSNBC and The New York Times for coverage of political elections. This year, they can add MTV to the list.

Last December, Think MTV, a community outreach initiative, selected a group of 51 citizen journalists as part of their Street Team ’08 initiative for their Emmy-winning “Choose or Lose” campaign. There is one journalist from each state plus Washington, D.C., and they will be covering the 2008 presidential election from a youth perspective using video, blogs, photos and other weekly multimedia reports from their geographic area.

This is the first time that the program has had a person representing every state, with the majority of the correspondents being under the age of 30.

“We really hope that it will give young people a new way to become educated and involved in issues that really matter to them,” said Jason Rzepka, director of communications at MTV. “The youth vote is going up, so the end goal is to stimulate as many young people to hit the polls as possible.”

Street Team ’08 applicants had to endure an intensive application process for the program, which involved essays, short form videos, reference letters and an interview, Rzepka said. Those selected to join Street Team ’08 had to attend a training session at MTV’s New York office in early January that involved camera handling, legal issues and journalistic techniques.

The multimedia submissions will be distributed through think.mtv.com, MTV Mobile and other media outlets. Select material will also be shown on MTV channels, including mtvU and MTV2.

This past November, Anthony Wojtkowiak, a University of Miami senior majoring in video-film and psychology, discovered that he was selected to represent Florida. He hopes to use this experience to hone his skills as a filmmaker and video journalist.

“The opportunity to work with MTV was not something I could pass up,” he said. “The idea for me is to present news and stories and question the way we think and inspire debate.”

Wojtkowiak, 21, was a Resident Assistant in Pearson Residential College for the last three years and is currently a senator for the School of Communication and a member of Kappa Sigma. He has also completed a journalism internship for the John S. and James L.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...