MTV selects young adults to cover ’08 election using multimedia

Traditionally, students have turned to news outlets such as CNN, MSNBC and The New York Times for coverage of political elections. This year, they can add MTV to the list.

Last December, Think MTV, a community outreach initiative, selected a group of 51 citizen journalists as part of their Street Team ’08 initiative for their Emmy-winning “Choose or Lose” campaign. There is one journalist from each state plus Washington, D.C., and they will be covering the 2008 presidential election from a youth perspective using video, blogs, photos and other weekly multimedia reports from their geographic area.

This is the first time that the program has had a person representing every state, with the majority of the correspondents being under the age of 30.

“We really hope that it will give young people a new way to become educated and involved in issues that really matter to them,” said Jason Rzepka, director of communications at MTV. “The youth vote is going up, so the end goal is to stimulate as many young people to hit the polls as possible.”

Street Team ’08 applicants had to endure an intensive application process for the program, which involved essays, short form videos, reference letters and an interview, Rzepka said. Those selected to join Street Team ’08 had to attend a training session at MTV’s New York office in early January that involved camera handling, legal issues and journalistic techniques.

The multimedia submissions will be distributed through think.mtv.com, MTV Mobile and other media outlets. Select material will also be shown on MTV channels, including mtvU and MTV2.

This past November, Anthony Wojtkowiak, a University of Miami senior majoring in video-film and psychology, discovered that he was selected to represent Florida. He hopes to use this experience to hone his skills as a filmmaker and video journalist.

“The opportunity to work with MTV was not something I could pass up,” he said. “The idea for me is to present news and stories and question the way we think and inspire debate.”

Wojtkowiak, 21, was a Resident Assistant in Pearson Residential College for the last three years and is currently a senator for the School of Communication and a member of Kappa Sigma. He has also completed a journalism internship for the John S. and James L.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...