Med School Briefs

Miami Project co-founder awarded prestigious award

Barth Green, neurosurgeon and co-founder of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, received the 2007 James W. McLamore Outstanding Service Award last Wednesday at the Mailman Center for Child Development. Green co-founded Project Medishare, a nonprofit medical initiative meant to provide the people of poor Haitian towns with healthcare. He has also co-founded the Shake-A-Leg project that helps physically disabled children and adults explore Biscayne Bay. The award is given to a member of the university community who has demonstrated great commitment and desire to service the institution and community. The award was established in 1987 and is named in honor of the co-founder of Burger King and former chair of the board of trustees. Green is the third Miller School faculty member in the last four years to receive the McLamore Award.

New Hispanic Community Health Study

In a few weeks, researchers from the Miller School will begin the Hispanic Community Health Study, a six-and-a-half year $61 million research project meant to improve knowledge of the health status of the Latin American population living in the United States. Physicians, epidemiologists, nurses, psychologists and community educators spanning across several disciplines will work on the study. The project is primarily funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute along with six other components of the National Institutes of Health. This specific study is the largest long-term epidemiological study of health and disease in Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Americans and Central/South Americans. Investigators will research prevalence and risk factors for a wide variety of diseases, disorders and conditions, and determine the role of cultural adaptation and disparities in the development of diseases.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...