Med School Briefs

Miami Project co-founder awarded prestigious award

Barth Green, neurosurgeon and co-founder of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, received the 2007 James W. McLamore Outstanding Service Award last Wednesday at the Mailman Center for Child Development. Green co-founded Project Medishare, a nonprofit medical initiative meant to provide the people of poor Haitian towns with healthcare. He has also co-founded the Shake-A-Leg project that helps physically disabled children and adults explore Biscayne Bay. The award is given to a member of the university community who has demonstrated great commitment and desire to service the institution and community. The award was established in 1987 and is named in honor of the co-founder of Burger King and former chair of the board of trustees. Green is the third Miller School faculty member in the last four years to receive the McLamore Award.

New Hispanic Community Health Study

In a few weeks, researchers from the Miller School will begin the Hispanic Community Health Study, a six-and-a-half year $61 million research project meant to improve knowledge of the health status of the Latin American population living in the United States. Physicians, epidemiologists, nurses, psychologists and community educators spanning across several disciplines will work on the study. The project is primarily funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute along with six other components of the National Institutes of Health. This specific study is the largest long-term epidemiological study of health and disease in Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Americans and Central/South Americans. Investigators will research prevalence and risk factors for a wide variety of diseases, disorders and conditions, and determine the role of cultural adaptation and disparities in the development of diseases.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...