Med School Briefs

Miami Project co-founder awarded prestigious award

Barth Green, neurosurgeon and co-founder of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, received the 2007 James W. McLamore Outstanding Service Award last Wednesday at the Mailman Center for Child Development. Green co-founded Project Medishare, a nonprofit medical initiative meant to provide the people of poor Haitian towns with healthcare. He has also co-founded the Shake-A-Leg project that helps physically disabled children and adults explore Biscayne Bay. The award is given to a member of the university community who has demonstrated great commitment and desire to service the institution and community. The award was established in 1987 and is named in honor of the co-founder of Burger King and former chair of the board of trustees. Green is the third Miller School faculty member in the last four years to receive the McLamore Award.

New Hispanic Community Health Study

In a few weeks, researchers from the Miller School will begin the Hispanic Community Health Study, a six-and-a-half year $61 million research project meant to improve knowledge of the health status of the Latin American population living in the United States. Physicians, epidemiologists, nurses, psychologists and community educators spanning across several disciplines will work on the study. The project is primarily funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute along with six other components of the National Institutes of Health. This specific study is the largest long-term epidemiological study of health and disease in Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Americans and Central/South Americans. Investigators will research prevalence and risk factors for a wide variety of diseases, disorders and conditions, and determine the role of cultural adaptation and disparities in the development of diseases.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...