Med School Briefs

Miami Project co-founder awarded prestigious award

Barth Green, neurosurgeon and co-founder of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, received the 2007 James W. McLamore Outstanding Service Award last Wednesday at the Mailman Center for Child Development. Green co-founded Project Medishare, a nonprofit medical initiative meant to provide the people of poor Haitian towns with healthcare. He has also co-founded the Shake-A-Leg project that helps physically disabled children and adults explore Biscayne Bay. The award is given to a member of the university community who has demonstrated great commitment and desire to service the institution and community. The award was established in 1987 and is named in honor of the co-founder of Burger King and former chair of the board of trustees. Green is the third Miller School faculty member in the last four years to receive the McLamore Award.

New Hispanic Community Health Study

In a few weeks, researchers from the Miller School will begin the Hispanic Community Health Study, a six-and-a-half year $61 million research project meant to improve knowledge of the health status of the Latin American population living in the United States. Physicians, epidemiologists, nurses, psychologists and community educators spanning across several disciplines will work on the study. The project is primarily funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute along with six other components of the National Institutes of Health. This specific study is the largest long-term epidemiological study of health and disease in Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Americans and Central/South Americans. Investigators will research prevalence and risk factors for a wide variety of diseases, disorders and conditions, and determine the role of cultural adaptation and disparities in the development of diseases.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...