Hurricanes, Dolphins of the past join fans in bidding farewell to the OB

We all remember where we were on Nov. 10, 2007. The last game at the Orange Bowl was a tragedy unlike any other seen at the University of Miami – a 48-0 drubbing of the Canes in the final performance at that great edifice of sports. Tears were expected that night, but they were supposed to be in mourning, not in anger.

Luckily, there was one more chance to remember the stadium, one more opportunity to singe the old lady’s image into our brains. Many UM students and fans missed it; what a pity.

Many people greeted last Saturday’s “Farewell to the Orange Bowl Stadium” as a conniving move by the City of Miami to squeeze one last drop of blood out of the turnip, one last look under the cushions, trying to milk every last dime out of the Orange Bowl. While the $20 entry fee was unnecessarily steep, the value in attendance didn’t dawn upon me until I entered and viewed the festivities.

While watching the former Hurricanes and Dolphins players battle it out on the field while the fans stomped their feet on the metal bleachers and the old generals Shula and Schnellenberger dueled it out on the sidelines, I was transported to a different time. A time Wwhen athletics were a point of pride, not a cancer upon this city.; Wwhen names like Marino, Kosar and Blades were the dominant forces on the sporting world.; Aand when the Orange Bowl was the centerpiece, the jewel, the stage of the theatrre of dreams in Little Havana.

It turns out that those stars, known so much for their past performances in the Orange Bowl, waited to give their greatest contribution to it until last Saturday. And that is the creation of one final memory – one final event that dulls the pain of the past. They singlehandedly wiped the grime away and gave the 15,000 most loyal fans of the Dolphins and the Hurricanes something that can’t be valued in dollars and cents.

Sure, the City of Miami was shrewd in attempting to gouge us poor saps one more time. But in their attempt, they gave us a great gift. As I left the Orange Bowl Saturday, I looked back at the stripped fa

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...