VoteGopher geared toward helping students learn about candidates

For some college students who are busy cramming for tests and browsing Facebook, spending hours researching presidential candidates may be unrealistic.

But fear not, politically-minded readers: A college student has created a helpful tool.

Will Ruben, a sophomore at Harvard University, is the founder and CEO of VoteGopher.com, a Web site designed to help users compare candidates by issue.

Under the slogan, “We dig, you decide,” VoteGopher is run mainly by Harvard undergraduates who post information on candidates while working under a non-partisan oath.

Ruben began working on the site last spring and continued throughout the summer.

“I sort of realized there was no easy way to find out where candidates stand,” Ruben said. “Lots of people didn’t know about the lesser-known candidates.”

Before launching the site, Ruben sent e-mails through Harvard listservs and got responses from students interested in contributing to the project.

Although the site is not exclusively designed for college students, Ruben wants to especially target young people and encourage voter turnout in Americans under 30.

“Don’t follow politics? Don’t think you know enough to make an educated choice? That’s why I founded VoteGopher.com,” writes Ruben in his “Get Out the Vote” letter on the site. “With VoteGopher, ‘not knowing enough’ is no longer an excuse for not voting. Our simple yet detailed position summaries provide the necessary information for making an informed choice.”

As for his voting decision, Ruben remains undecided, adding, “I’m going to use the site.”

Blair Brettschneider may be contacted at b.brettschneider@umiami.edu.

Interested in using a Web site to find a candidate?

-wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460: Viewers can take a 14-question quiz that will show which candidate’s views are most similar to their own
-politics.nytimes.com/election-guide: An election guide written by the New York Times staff gives each candidate’s position on major issues ranging from abortion to climate change
– debates.news.yahoo.com/: Let’s viewers choose a topic and then listen to an audio file of the candidates answering questions about that topic

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...