UM grad sells shoes as art in South Beach

While most college seniors spend their final year applying to grad schools or going to job interviews, 2007 graduate Jason Fishbein had it all figured out. In his final two years at the University of Miami, the Baltimore native went from selling sneakers in the back of his Buick to becoming one of Miami’s hottest entrepreneurs.

The shoes Fishbein carried in the trunk of his car included modified and customized versions of the shoes he received directly from manufacturers

“At first I just did it to make a little extra cash,” Fishbein said. “I saw there was a demand for it at school. At first I would buy 12 pairs at one time and I sold them all in a matter of a week.”

According to Fishbein, his first customers on campus were UM athletes. Fishbein would drive his Buick to the athletic center each day around 4 p.m. as practices were letting out.

Using his dorm as a stock room, Fishbein continued ordering customized sneakers to fit the campus’ demand. As he realized the potential of what started as a hobby, he began selling off campus. The streets of South Beach proved to be even more profitable.

“I was selling on the street making connections with other shoe artists,” he said.

Pursuing these connections, Fishbein began flying all over the country to attend fashion shows and meet with artists.

“I was doing whatever I could to get artists on my side,” he said.

Fishbein is currently working with some of the most well-known tattoo artists in the nation. In November he opened J Fish Kicks, located on Collins Avenue in South Beach. Customized handmade sneakers range in price from $200 to $2,000 per pair.

“I didn’t want just anyone. I wanted the best artists out there,” Fishbein explained. “We currently have eight artists and each artist does something different.” The artists who design and create sneakers for Fishbein include Chris Garver from Miami Ink, Cope2, a world famous graffiti artist, and Mister Cartoon, a Los Angeles-based artist who has done tattoos for stars such as Eminem and 50 Cent.

With his sneaker empire well on its way, Fishbein said he genuinely enjoys what he does.

“I get to meet a lot of different people, a lot of ball players and rappers,” he said.

After only being open for two months, J Fish Kicks is currently in the process of designing customized sneakers for rapper Flo-Rida.

Although he enjoys working with celebrities, Fishbein also likes to hear from average shoppers.

“Everybody has something to say about the store and everybody has an opinion,” Fishbein said. “It’s just fun.”

J Fish Kicks
255 Collins Ave.
Miami Beach, FL
jfishkicks.com

Kendall Sale may be contacted at k.sale@miami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...