Men’s tennis crush competition in first two matches of 2008

Proving that age is just a number, the No. 36 Hurricanes men’s tennis team took care of business by winning its first two matches of the season by scores of 6-1.

“We didn’t know how everything was going to be this year,” said senior Vivek Subramanian. “We have a lot of freshmen and a lot of young players, and stepping into a big role right away- it’s tough. I feel like the first two days they handled themselves really well, they kept their composure and they were able to overcome some adversities at times.”

On both days doubles swept their opponents and five of six singles matches were won by Miami. Led by No. 7 junior Daniel Vallverdu, who beat No. 56 sophomore Olivier Sajous of FAU, and senior Jordan Delass of Samford in singles play, key victories from freshman Keith Crawley in the fifth spot helped Miami pull away.

Subramanian won on the fourth court both days and as part of the 18th-ranked doubles team with junior David Rosenfeld.

“I don’t care where I play,” Subramanian said. “I’m just going out there and trying to do what’s best for the team and trying to win and put the point on the board for us. The only thing I can do is try to win as many of the matches I can and help out doubles as much as I can and cheer because that’s a big part here.”

The No. 97-ranked Rosenfeld came back from a tough loss against FAU freshman Marc Abdelnour to win Friday 6-2, 6-1 against Samford senior Renan Silveira.

“It’s always exciting to start off the season, always exciting to watch our freshmen play,” said Head Coach Mario Rincon. “I think we’re pretty young, pretty talented. We’ve enjoyed really good chemistry this year and we’re having a good time working together.”

Miami returns Tuesday to take on in-state rival No. 14 Florida at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center at 2 p.m.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...