Men’s basketball end three-game losing streak

Trailing by six points late in the second half, it looked as though the Miami Hurricanes might fall to Clemson and record their fourth straight loss.

But then the Hurricanes’ star emerged.

Within 90 seconds, guard Jack McClinton took the game into his own hands. McClinton knocked down three straight three-pointers to lead Miami’s victory over Clemson, 75-72.

“It was a great win. It was hard-fought, typical ACC basketball game,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “We had a lot of guys step up – obviously Jack with the three straight threes down the stretch. We showed some toughness.”

McClinton, who finished with 16 points, was only 2-for-14 from the field until his late game surge. Still, Haith had confidence that McClinton would shrug off his shooting woes.

“Jack is our guy. Jack knows we all have confidence in him,” Haith said. “I keep telling Jack that he’s going to make the next shot. I think he is one shot from getting in a rhythm.”

Miami (15-4, 2-3 ACC) was coming off a home loss to North Carolina, 98-82, in a game where the Canes shot 50 percent from the field. This time, the Canes shot only 38 percent but picked up the win.

“I thought we had some really good defensive stops throughout the game,” Haith said.

Guard Lance Hurdle set the tone early for the Canes and got them out to their finest start of the ACC season. Hurdle was able to break the full court press and find easy baskets. Miami had a 12-point lead, but an 18-5 run by Clemson gave the Tigers their first lead since the opening minute. Asbury’s two free throws handed the Hurricanes a 37-35 lead going into halftime.

Just like the first half, Miami jumped out quick on Clemson, partially due to feeding forward Dwayne Collins the ball in the paint.

Collins was a force in the inside, accounting for 18 points and 12 rebounds of the team’s total, but that wasn’t enough to hold off Clemson.

The Tigers put together a 17-4 run and had the Canes offense looking tentative. Clemson had a 63-57 lead before McClinton made his name even more known.

McClinton knew he had to take advantage of his opportunities.

“It was tough,” McClinton said. “They played me tough, so when I get open looks I have to knock them down. At the end of the game, I got the look and I knocked them down.”

Both Hurdle and Brian Asbury made key free throws in the final minute to ice the game for Miami. The Canes finished with four players in double figures including Hurdle with 14 points.

“This is ACC basketball. Simple as that,” Haith said. “You don’t want to dig yourself in a big hole that you can’t get yourself out of. You are not going to run away from anyone in this league.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...