Yellow Rose Society dances for charity

The Rathskeller took a break from serving hamburgers and milkshakes Friday night to dish out some hip-hop moves with a side of booty shaking during the Yellow Rose Society’s Second Annual Charity Dance-off.

The event, hosted by the Yellow Rose Society and the Rathskeller Advisory Board, bathed the crowd of about 100 people in tunes spun by DJ Face.

Though the event was free, donations were requested at the door to raise money for St. Albans Children’s Center, a shelter that houses kids who have been abandoned by their parents and are now cared for by the state of Florida.

The Yellow Rose Society, a community service organization that focuses on sisterhood, service and leadership, volunteers on Fridays at St. Albans by mentoring and tutoring children while also playing games, watching movies and taking them on fieldtrips. Last summer the Florida Marlins sponsored a field trip for the students and the children to go to a baseball game.

Elyse Phillips, Yellow Rose Society president, said that though society members volunteer frequently, Friday’s dance-off was their first sponsored charity event.

Apart from raising more than $160 for toys, books and games for children at St. Albans, the charity dance-off kept the party going until 2 a.m., closing time at the Rat.

The amount of people that showed up really impressed me,” said Deveon Ashe, a junior. “The DJ had the crowd pumped all night long and the music was so contagious.”

Analisa Harangozo may be contacted at a.harangozo@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...