UPDATE: Grogg speaks to Syracuse students at hour-long session

UPDATE: Jan. 25, 2:50 A.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the UM School of Communication, spoke with 100 Syracuse University communication students at an hour-long session Thursday, the Daily Orange reported.

The Orange also reported the following:

Grogg discussed his potential vision to uphold a reputation of excellence at Newhouse, if he were to be selected and accept the position. He also addressed students concerns about what he had told The Miami Hurricane Tuesday night.

Before he went for the visit, Grogg told The Hurricane he had no intention to leave UM.

“It’s tough. When you’re really in the midst of change and you’re as connected as I am to the students and supportive as I am of the student newspaper-to say that you might be leaving, it’s hard for both sides,” the Orange said, quoting Grogg.

Grogg also said the following, the Orange reported:

“When Newhouse calls, you answer the call,” he said. “You’ve set the agenda, you’ve set the stage and the rest of the schools are looking at this one.”

Some of his words at the question-and-answer session were more personal.

“We knew – and know – that Miami isn’t a place we plan to be permanently rooted,” the Orange quoted Grogg as saying, referring to him and his wife.

Grogg will leave today after further meetings with Newhouse and Syracuse officials.

Continue to check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Syracuse story:
Dean candidate discusses future amidst uncertainties: Grogg visits from Miami, spends hour answering student questions, concerns

UPDATE: Jan. 24, 1:15 P.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, is visiting Syracuse University Thursday and Friday as one of two candidates for the top spot at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

“I have made no decisions nor have any decision yet to make about the candidacy,” Grogg said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

He will address a student-only audience Thursday afternoon, The Daily Orange reported. A link to their full story is below:

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...