UPDATE: Grogg speaks to Syracuse students at hour-long session

UPDATE: Jan. 25, 2:50 A.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the UM School of Communication, spoke with 100 Syracuse University communication students at an hour-long session Thursday, the Daily Orange reported.

The Orange also reported the following:

Grogg discussed his potential vision to uphold a reputation of excellence at Newhouse, if he were to be selected and accept the position. He also addressed students concerns about what he had told The Miami Hurricane Tuesday night.

Before he went for the visit, Grogg told The Hurricane he had no intention to leave UM.

“It’s tough. When you’re really in the midst of change and you’re as connected as I am to the students and supportive as I am of the student newspaper-to say that you might be leaving, it’s hard for both sides,” the Orange said, quoting Grogg.

Grogg also said the following, the Orange reported:

“When Newhouse calls, you answer the call,” he said. “You’ve set the agenda, you’ve set the stage and the rest of the schools are looking at this one.”

Some of his words at the question-and-answer session were more personal.

“We knew – and know – that Miami isn’t a place we plan to be permanently rooted,” the Orange quoted Grogg as saying, referring to him and his wife.

Grogg will leave today after further meetings with Newhouse and Syracuse officials.

Continue to check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Syracuse story:
Dean candidate discusses future amidst uncertainties: Grogg visits from Miami, spends hour answering student questions, concerns

UPDATE: Jan. 24, 1:15 P.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, is visiting Syracuse University Thursday and Friday as one of two candidates for the top spot at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

“I have made no decisions nor have any decision yet to make about the candidacy,” Grogg said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

He will address a student-only audience Thursday afternoon, The Daily Orange reported. A link to their full story is below:

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...