UPDATE: Grogg speaks to Syracuse students at hour-long session

UPDATE: Jan. 25, 2:50 A.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the UM School of Communication, spoke with 100 Syracuse University communication students at an hour-long session Thursday, the Daily Orange reported.

The Orange also reported the following:

Grogg discussed his potential vision to uphold a reputation of excellence at Newhouse, if he were to be selected and accept the position. He also addressed students concerns about what he had told The Miami Hurricane Tuesday night.

Before he went for the visit, Grogg told The Hurricane he had no intention to leave UM.

“It’s tough. When you’re really in the midst of change and you’re as connected as I am to the students and supportive as I am of the student newspaper-to say that you might be leaving, it’s hard for both sides,” the Orange said, quoting Grogg.

Grogg also said the following, the Orange reported:

“When Newhouse calls, you answer the call,” he said. “You’ve set the agenda, you’ve set the stage and the rest of the schools are looking at this one.”

Some of his words at the question-and-answer session were more personal.

“We knew – and know – that Miami isn’t a place we plan to be permanently rooted,” the Orange quoted Grogg as saying, referring to him and his wife.

Grogg will leave today after further meetings with Newhouse and Syracuse officials.

Continue to check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Syracuse story:
Dean candidate discusses future amidst uncertainties: Grogg visits from Miami, spends hour answering student questions, concerns

UPDATE: Jan. 24, 1:15 P.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, is visiting Syracuse University Thursday and Friday as one of two candidates for the top spot at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

“I have made no decisions nor have any decision yet to make about the candidacy,” Grogg said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

He will address a student-only audience Thursday afternoon, The Daily Orange reported. A link to their full story is below:

Previous articleKeys to the Game: UM vs. N.C. State
Next articleUM grad sells shoes as art in South Beach