University rethinks housing changes

Strong reactions to the recently announced housing allocation changes have caused the university to significantly modify their plans, said the vice president for Student Affairs.

“It appears as though we have, unfortunately, moved too quickly,” Patricia A. Whitely said Wednesday afternoon at her monthly roundtable meeting with student leaders. “People [were]very anxious and not sure how this [was]going to work for them.”

Whitely said the university “decided to back off” of most of the plan for now due to student concerns, but emphasized there will still be some changes for next year, and more in the future.

“We’re simply slowing down the change,” she said. “We can’t stand still, but we have to take a step back.”

Everything will remain the same as in previous years with a few exceptions involving the towers and the apartment area:

With these revisions, housing sign-up priorities will continue to be determined by contract number. Students who have lived on campus the longest will still have the highest priority. There will be no lottery this year.

Whitely said a decision was made Monday to allow students living in singles to keep their rooms. After today’s announcement, students will be able to retain their current dorms no matter where they live on campus.

The new rule that only juniors and seniors will be allowed to live in the apartment area still stands.

Hecht and Stanford will, for the most part, still be open to all students.

“We want to inconvenience as few students as possible, and get feedback from as many as possible,” Whitely said.

Whitely describes the new plan for the towers as “modified freshman housing,” which designates a few floors in the towers as freshman-only on a pilot basis. The number of floors and their location will be announced in late February, according to a statement released by Whitely.

Student reactions

Whitely first approached SG President Danny Carvajal and Senate Speaker Brandon Gross late last semester with an initial proposal for changes. Gross told The Hurricane that SG did not vote on the initial changes but merely gave feedback. The new plans were discussed in Senate today.

Students, who learned about the now-defunct changes from a mass e-mail and their resident assistants, reacted quickly to those changes.

Two groups that appeared on Facebook also helped Whitely gauge the resistance, as she cited at the roundtable meeting. “Change UM Housing Process back to Priority” currently has 366 members and “Don’t let me be homeless” currently has 90.

“I was really, really angry and thought it was completely unfair,” said Tiffany Chomko, a junior and creator of the “Changing UM Housing” group, regarding last week’s decision. Chomko lives in a single and would have most likely lost her room under the first round of changes.

She and junior Billy King, founder of the other group, met Thursday with Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Gilbert Arias and Carvajal to express their concerns.

Arias visited a meeting the two students organized Monday at Eaton, where he announced that upperclassmen would be allowed to retain their singles and singles would only be available for upperclassmen.

Chomko said she was pleased. By Wednesday, the other revisions to the plan were announced.

“Everyone should feel good their concerns were listened to,” Whitely said.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...