Pinay Protege Essay

I can easily recall the first time I heard about the comfort women of WWII. It was during the annual 2007 CFAGA Filipino Independence Day held in my hometown of Pembroke Pines . Wanting to find something to do, my friend and I were passing by the various booths that they had. One, in particular, was called Laban for the Lolas. Not thinking much about it, I probably would have passed it by had not one of the young ladies behind the booth vigorously approach us and inform us of their cause. I remembered feeling ashamed and moved at the same time when I heard about the horrific experiences these comfort women had to go through. Before I always would hear about the injustices occurring throughout the world such as those in Darfur, but it never occurred to me till that point that such injustices could hit right at home. I was ashamed about not knowing sooner about this issue. But I was also moved at how these inspirational and courageous Lolas are standing up along with their supporters to fight for their overdue justice. Recalling dark pasts especially out to the public can never be easy. Further adding to what I learned that day, I see, especially now, how important being informed and sharing information are. Had not that young lady approached me, I wonder how long would I have been ignorant of this issue?

Since my first encounter with the issue, much progress has been made by the Laban for the Lolas-most notably the passing of House Resolution 121 by Congress. Consequently, Laban for the Lolas has taken on a new direction and focus: to eliminate present and future ignorance of the issue of comfort women, especially Filipino comfort women, through the awareness and education of the public and to support the mission of the surviving Filipina comfort women of Lila Filipina, The League of Filipina Grandmothers.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...