Med School Briefs

Gene mutation for genetic mystery identified

A gene associated with spinal-muscular atrophy linked to the X chromosome, a rare pediatric disease, was recently identified by Dr. Lisa Baumbach-Reardon of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in conjunction with the Technical University of Munich, Germany. Spinal-muscular atrophy is a neurodegenerative disorder that results in severely weakened muscles in male infants. The majority of infected individuals do not survive two years after birth. Baumbach-Reardon and her team of researchers identified the responsible genetic mutation on gene UBE1 of the X chromosome in 2006, and presenting it last week provided a long-awaited answer to those who lost children to the disorder. Working with genetic information from an afflicted family, researchers hope to obtain grants for mouse and yeast testing and find a cure.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...