KEYS TO THE GAME:: Miami v. UNC

Miami

What went wrong?

The Canes couldn’t find an answer for guard Ty Lawson. By halftime, Lawson already passed his season average and finished with 23 points.

Turnovers and miscues plagued the Canes in the second half which allowed North Carolina to increase the lead and eventually put them out of reach.

They simply just couldn’t stop the beast, Tyler Hansbrough, in the middle. His inside presence was too much for Miami. Anybody the Hurricanes threw at him, Hansbrough just brushed off. He had a season high with 35 points.

Once again Jack McClinton wasn’t a factor in the first half. The past two games, he has a combined five points in the opening half.

What went right?

Miami has found the point guard they have been looking for, just in time for a strong ACC run. Hurdle showed he could be play with the top point guards in the nation. Hurdle set a career high with 20 points.

The Hurricanes didn’t come out with a hangover from the NC State loss and showed they were capable of running with the Tar Heels.

Not a single body on the court matched the intensity that forward Raymond Hicks brought to the game in the first half, leading the Canes with 14 points and then setting a career high with 17 points.

The Miami backcourt combined for 41 points and proved they’re worthy of playing with the one of the best teams in the nation.

NORTH CAROLINA

What went wrong?

Eventually, North Carolina will have to learn how to play stiff defense in the first half. The Tar Heels allowed the Canes to shot 50 percent.

North Carolina allowed Miami to stay in the game for too long. The Tar Heels can not allow ACC opponents to hang around.

What went right?

At times Hansbrough looked agitated, but once he settled down the Canes couldn’t stop him from scoring and getting to the line.

Once Lawson gets his jump shot going, he becomes extremely hard to defend and shows why he is one of the best point guards in the nation. Lawson was getting the paint at free will and allowed him to dictate the pace of the game.

Final Thoughts: “In my mind they are the best team in the nation,” said coach Frank Haith.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...