KEYS TO THE GAME:: Miami v. UNC

Miami

What went wrong?

The Canes couldn’t find an answer for guard Ty Lawson. By halftime, Lawson already passed his season average and finished with 23 points.

Turnovers and miscues plagued the Canes in the second half which allowed North Carolina to increase the lead and eventually put them out of reach.

They simply just couldn’t stop the beast, Tyler Hansbrough, in the middle. His inside presence was too much for Miami. Anybody the Hurricanes threw at him, Hansbrough just brushed off. He had a season high with 35 points.

Once again Jack McClinton wasn’t a factor in the first half. The past two games, he has a combined five points in the opening half.

What went right?

Miami has found the point guard they have been looking for, just in time for a strong ACC run. Hurdle showed he could be play with the top point guards in the nation. Hurdle set a career high with 20 points.

The Hurricanes didn’t come out with a hangover from the NC State loss and showed they were capable of running with the Tar Heels.

Not a single body on the court matched the intensity that forward Raymond Hicks brought to the game in the first half, leading the Canes with 14 points and then setting a career high with 17 points.

The Miami backcourt combined for 41 points and proved they’re worthy of playing with the one of the best teams in the nation.

NORTH CAROLINA

What went wrong?

Eventually, North Carolina will have to learn how to play stiff defense in the first half. The Tar Heels allowed the Canes to shot 50 percent.

North Carolina allowed Miami to stay in the game for too long. The Tar Heels can not allow ACC opponents to hang around.

What went right?

At times Hansbrough looked agitated, but once he settled down the Canes couldn’t stop him from scoring and getting to the line.

Once Lawson gets his jump shot going, he becomes extremely hard to defend and shows why he is one of the best point guards in the nation. Lawson was getting the paint at free will and allowed him to dictate the pace of the game.

Final Thoughts: “In my mind they are the best team in the nation,” said coach Frank Haith.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...