KEYS TO THE GAME:: Miami v. UNC

Miami

What went wrong?

The Canes couldn’t find an answer for guard Ty Lawson. By halftime, Lawson already passed his season average and finished with 23 points.

Turnovers and miscues plagued the Canes in the second half which allowed North Carolina to increase the lead and eventually put them out of reach.

They simply just couldn’t stop the beast, Tyler Hansbrough, in the middle. His inside presence was too much for Miami. Anybody the Hurricanes threw at him, Hansbrough just brushed off. He had a season high with 35 points.

Once again Jack McClinton wasn’t a factor in the first half. The past two games, he has a combined five points in the opening half.

What went right?

Miami has found the point guard they have been looking for, just in time for a strong ACC run. Hurdle showed he could be play with the top point guards in the nation. Hurdle set a career high with 20 points.

The Hurricanes didn’t come out with a hangover from the NC State loss and showed they were capable of running with the Tar Heels.

Not a single body on the court matched the intensity that forward Raymond Hicks brought to the game in the first half, leading the Canes with 14 points and then setting a career high with 17 points.

The Miami backcourt combined for 41 points and proved they’re worthy of playing with the one of the best teams in the nation.

NORTH CAROLINA

What went wrong?

Eventually, North Carolina will have to learn how to play stiff defense in the first half. The Tar Heels allowed the Canes to shot 50 percent.

North Carolina allowed Miami to stay in the game for too long. The Tar Heels can not allow ACC opponents to hang around.

What went right?

At times Hansbrough looked agitated, but once he settled down the Canes couldn’t stop him from scoring and getting to the line.

Once Lawson gets his jump shot going, he becomes extremely hard to defend and shows why he is one of the best point guards in the nation. Lawson was getting the paint at free will and allowed him to dictate the pace of the game.

Final Thoughts: “In my mind they are the best team in the nation,” said coach Frank Haith.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...