KEYS TO THE GAME:: Miami v. UNC

Miami

What went wrong?

The Canes couldn’t find an answer for guard Ty Lawson. By halftime, Lawson already passed his season average and finished with 23 points.

Turnovers and miscues plagued the Canes in the second half which allowed North Carolina to increase the lead and eventually put them out of reach.

They simply just couldn’t stop the beast, Tyler Hansbrough, in the middle. His inside presence was too much for Miami. Anybody the Hurricanes threw at him, Hansbrough just brushed off. He had a season high with 35 points.

Once again Jack McClinton wasn’t a factor in the first half. The past two games, he has a combined five points in the opening half.

What went right?

Miami has found the point guard they have been looking for, just in time for a strong ACC run. Hurdle showed he could be play with the top point guards in the nation. Hurdle set a career high with 20 points.

The Hurricanes didn’t come out with a hangover from the NC State loss and showed they were capable of running with the Tar Heels.

Not a single body on the court matched the intensity that forward Raymond Hicks brought to the game in the first half, leading the Canes with 14 points and then setting a career high with 17 points.

The Miami backcourt combined for 41 points and proved they’re worthy of playing with the one of the best teams in the nation.

NORTH CAROLINA

What went wrong?

Eventually, North Carolina will have to learn how to play stiff defense in the first half. The Tar Heels allowed the Canes to shot 50 percent.

North Carolina allowed Miami to stay in the game for too long. The Tar Heels can not allow ACC opponents to hang around.

What went right?

At times Hansbrough looked agitated, but once he settled down the Canes couldn’t stop him from scoring and getting to the line.

Once Lawson gets his jump shot going, he becomes extremely hard to defend and shows why he is one of the best point guards in the nation. Lawson was getting the paint at free will and allowed him to dictate the pace of the game.

Final Thoughts: “In my mind they are the best team in the nation,” said coach Frank Haith.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...