English professor finds protégé

She was selected as one of the 100 most influential Filipina women in the United States, and now she has finished her search for a protégé.

M. Evelina Galang, an assistant professor in the English department, was looking for a student to mentor for the next five years. Ninety-nine other influential Filipina women joined her search with the goal of doubling the 100 voices of Filipina leadership by the Filipina Summit in 2012.

Rhea Olegario, a freshman studying biochemistry, was chosen as a protégé based on an interview process and an essay contest. She will be in charge of coordinating an initial US chapter for Friends of the Lolas, an advocacy program Galang created, comprising student leaders in different organizations at the University of Miami.

Under Galang’s mentorship, she will lead projects to raise awareness, fundraise and connect with the Liga Ng Mga Lolang Pilipina, or the League of Filipina Lolas, through letter writing.

Before her search for a protégé began, Galang was recognized for her extensive research, advocacy and activism for the 200,000 WWII rape victims known as Lolas or “comfort women.” Last year, during Amnesty International’s Die In, Galang and a group of student volunteers read the testimonies of the Lolas and got signatures for her petition to pass US House Resolution 121, a call for Japan to apologize for forcing thousands of women into sexual servitude to its soldiers before and during WWII. Congress passed it July 30. Galang now wants to spread the awareness off campus into the Miami community with the help of Olegario.

“I look forward to gaining the skills of managing an advocacy organization because in the future I want to be involved in human rights,” Olegario said. “I know there’s a lot I need to learn especially because I’m a freshman in college, but I know with Evelina’s guidance I’ll be going down the right path.”

To read Olegario’s winning essay, visit www.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Analisa Harangozo may be contacted at a.harangozo@umiami.edu.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...