Crist’s proposed budget would cancel Florida Resident Access Grant

Florida residents attending private universities will lose a $3,000 stipend if a budget proposal announced last Thursday by Gov. Charlie Crist is approved.

The Florida Resident Access Grant, currently given to about 4,200 University of Miami students, would no longer be awarded to incoming freshmen next year if the budget is approved by state legislature. Current students continuing at the university would still receive the award, said Jacqueline Menendez ,vice president for Communications.

“This will not impact the university directly, but it will impact us indirectly because students looking at applying to colleges may not choose this institution,” she said.

Menendez added that UM, along with other private universities such as Barry and St. Thomas, is planning to reach out to the Miami-Dade delegation, the group of legislators that represent Miami-Dade County, and let them know the university is concerned about the impact of the cuts on future students.

Although some students attending private universities will be losing money as a result of the budget cuts, Crist hopes to add $1 billion to education spending in the next year. The proposed budget would allocate more money for teacher bonuses, middle school physical education programs and new classrooms.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...