Crist’s proposed budget would cancel Florida Resident Access Grant

Florida residents attending private universities will lose a $3,000 stipend if a budget proposal announced last Thursday by Gov. Charlie Crist is approved.

The Florida Resident Access Grant, currently given to about 4,200 University of Miami students, would no longer be awarded to incoming freshmen next year if the budget is approved by state legislature. Current students continuing at the university would still receive the award, said Jacqueline Menendez ,vice president for Communications.

“This will not impact the university directly, but it will impact us indirectly because students looking at applying to colleges may not choose this institution,” she said.

Menendez added that UM, along with other private universities such as Barry and St. Thomas, is planning to reach out to the Miami-Dade delegation, the group of legislators that represent Miami-Dade County, and let them know the university is concerned about the impact of the cuts on future students.

Although some students attending private universities will be losing money as a result of the budget cuts, Crist hopes to add $1 billion to education spending in the next year. The proposed budget would allocate more money for teacher bonuses, middle school physical education programs and new classrooms.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...