Avoid backlash by talking to students

Last week The Miami Hurricane editorial staff dreamt that there were going to be massive housing changes that would reverse the priority process and reserve the towers and two floors of Mahoney for freshmen.

That was a dream right? It’s hard to tell when the university announces drastic changes, then reverses them the following week.

Everyone is allowed to make mistakes. Acknowledging a mistake and working to fix it is laudable and that’s exactly what the university is doing right now. It’s the process that led to the mistake that is not so worthy of praise.

Last semester, the administration approached two top Student Government members and discussed the initial proposed housing changes and to get feedback. Still, Student Government never voted for approval of the housing changes. It never went to the SG Senate.

Many other students, such as resident assistants who have an important role in the housing process, were not given an opportunity to give their input at all. The announcement came as a surprise to everyone who wasn’t in the know.

But, hey, it’s not like anything similar has happened before, right? Oh, wait. It has. Last year, university administrators decided, without even consulting a single student, to in-state deferred recruitment in fall 2008. At least this time the administration listened to the feedback and decided to “take a step back.”

We’re not implying the adminstration doesn’t care about the students, but they shouldn’t merely think about the students in formulating these decisions – they should consult with the students. And that’s what’s happening now.

Maybe the university will do that the next time before saying, “This is what we’re doing…” and prevent such backlash.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...