Wolfpack slips by Canes in overtime

POSTED JAN. 21 AT 1:30 P.M.

With a four-point lead and 27 seconds remaining in overtime, the Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team looked poised to leave Raleigh, N.C. with a hard-fought Atlantic Coast Conference win against N.C. State.

But, in a matter of seconds, the Wolfpack stole victory from the Hurricanes, 79-77, dropping the Canes to 14-3 and 1-2 in the ACC.

The Wolfpack (12-5, 1-3 ACC) sank a three-pointer with 20 seconds remaining, cutting Miami’s lead to one. After senior Anthony King split a pair of free throws, N.C. State scored on a tip-in basket to tie the game at 77. Trying to inbound the ball, King made a poor pass that was stolen by Wolfpack guard Gavin Grant, who made a lay up to give N.C. State a two-point rally win in overtime.

Miami has now dropped two straight ACC games, and nine road conference games dating to last year.

“I thought it was a real hard-fought game, a tough game,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “Our kids really played their hearts out in the second half. It’s always tough on the road.”

The Wolfpack didn’t score in overtime until the last twenty seconds, when they scored seven points.

All this came on leading scorer Jack McClinton’s birthday, who scored 24 of his 26 points after halftime. For 13 straight minutes in the second half, McClinton didn’t miss a shot, hitting seven consecutive shots and a pair of free throws.

However, that was not the case in the first half. McClinton was held to only two points, going 1-of-7 from the field. His poor performance dragged on Miami, and the Canes trailed 36-27 going into halftime. The Wolfpack built that lead by shooting 52 percent from the field and making five three-pointers. Miami shot 36 percent and made no three pointers.

But the Canes began to scrap back in the second half.

Miami started to pass inside to their big men, something they could not execute in the first half. Lay-ups by forwards Raymond Hicks and Jimmy Graham anchored a 10-0 run to put the Wolfpack in trouble.

“We wanted to get the ball inside against them,” Haith said. “That was our game plan. I thought our inside guys did a really good job of attacking their big [guys], and getting the ball into the post.”

McClinton made Miami’s first three-pointer of the game with 11:53 in the second half. Twenty seconds later, McClinton made another three-pointer to give the Canes their first lead of the second half, 51-50.

Still, the Canes could not stop N.C. State from the three-point line, as the Wolfpack set a season high with 11 three-pointers. The barrage of threes was just too much to overcome.

“I thought our guys were really trying to find a way to fight through it,” said Haith. “We just didn’t come out on top.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...