UM set to launch educational iTunes

Whether listening to weekly podcasts from anatomy class or downloading Virgil’s Aeneid, students at 28 different universities are taking advantage of an education-oriented Apple service.

iTunes U, a feature on the iTunes store web site, provides students with presentations, performances, lectures, demonstrations, debates, tours and archival footage in the form of MP3 downloads.

Although the University of Miami does not currently offer the service, the university signed an agreement on Jan. 2 to launch iTunes U later this semester, in part due to active pursuit by Student Government.

“We’re taking the classroom experience outside of the four walls of the class,” Student Government President Danny Carvajal said. “I personally see this as the wave of the future. This is one more way to engage students, faculty, and alumni in the school.”

UM’s iTunes U link will consist of two sections – public and private -that each school can personalize.

The private section of UM’s site will include educational content. Students, faculty and alumni will be granted access with their CaneID.

Campus tours, interviews and other promotional information will be posted on the public part of the site, which will be administered by the university’s communications office.

Some universities, such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology, have launched an entirely public site granting access to all of their courses.

UM will keep part of its content private, so only people associated with the university can have total access.

“If someone can get a UM education by using podcasts, that means the education at UM is a failure,” said Bill Vilberg, director of the Instructional Advancement Center.

Nene Kamate may be contacted at n.kamate@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...