Taser-related death reignites debate

A man’s death across the street from the University of Miami has added fuel to the heated debate over the use of Tasers.

Xavier Jones, a 29-year-old father of one, was Tasered early Friday morning by Coral Gables police after resisting arrest. Jones was pronounced dead shortly thereafter at Doctor’s Hospital.

Senior Ryan Dougherty, who witnessed the incident while waiting for friends, said that Jones was acting erratic, as if he were on drugs. It was Dougherty’s friend who called 911 at the request of the security guard.

“[Jones] ran into the middle of U.S. 1, throwing himself all over the place and yelling crazy things like ‘God forgive me,'” Dougherty said, also noting that he thinks the situation could have been handled better. He explained that the police arrived with their weapons drawn.

Although Tasers are referred to as “non-lethal” devices, Jones’ death is one of more than 160 Taser-related fatalities since 2001, according to Amnesty International.

Amnesty International has called for an independent, rigorous testing of the devices that deliver 50,000 volts of shock. The organization suggests that the use of Tasers be suspended pending an investigation into their effects and use.

Because UM police follow CGPD policy, officers on campus wear Tasers as well.

“I’ve seen Tasers save lives many, many times,” Police Chief David Rivero said. “If a subject is armed with a knife and comes at cop, the subject would mostly likely be shot if a cop did not have a Taser.”

Autopsy results will be available later in the week. Miami-Dade homicide detectives are investigating the situation, and the Gables officer involved is on paid administrative leave.

Pat Cunnane may be contacted at p.cunnane@umiami.edu.

Previous Florida Tasings

A 6-year-old boy was Tased by a Miami-Dade policeman in 2004 after threatening to injure himself with a shard of glass
A 12-year-old girl was Tased by a Miami-Dade policeman in 2004 after fleeing from the cop when she was caught skipping school
Andrew Meyer, a University of Florida senior, was Tased in 2007 while attending a guest lecture by former presidential candidate John Kerry

-Compiled by Karyn Meshbane

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...