KEYS TO THE GAME:: Miami v. BC

Miami

What went right?

Not a whole lot. James Dews continues to play well after scoring a career-high 20 points against Georgia Tech, and he has consistently scored in double-figures all season. Miami should have looked for Dews more in the first half as he was the only player with the hot hand.

What went wrong?

Miami got off to a slow start on the road and was unable to cut into the looming deficit before halftime. Miami is not a team that can just turn on the switch like they did against Georgia Tech. The game was not nearly as close as the score indicated.

Brian Asbury and Anthony King combined for two points. Miami cannot afford to have that kind of production from two starters in ACC games. Asbury continues to be inconsistent from game to game while King’s offensive performance has not taken off as expected.

Jack McClinton struggled with his shot for the second straight game, despite going on a run late in the contest. McClinton did not look comfortable running the offense in transition and was unable to convert shots near the basket.

Miami needs improved play at point guard. The Hurricanes had just seven assists while Boston College dished out 19. Miami’s guards have not shown they can penetrate and open up shots for their teammates.

Miami’s cold shooting continued. The Hurricanes continue to rely on shooting the 3-point ball in the halfcourt set. Miami has not established that they are an inside-outside team in any way.

Boston College

What went wrong?

Not much. Tyrese Rice was just 4-for-16 from the game and the Eagles still had their way. Al Skinner must be pleased with his team’s 3-0 start in the ACC.

What went right?

Boston College started the game fast and never looked back. The Eagles played with high energy and defended well. The bench contributed more than expected and the frontline played better than Miami’s.

The Eagles proved they can win without relying on Tyrese Rice to shoulder the load. The supporting cast of Rakim Sanders and Sharmari Spears stepped up in a big way.

Boston College may have lost Jared Dudley inside, but they still have players that can make an impact. Tyrelle Blair owned the paint and was physical, recording 12 rebounds and five blocked shots. Miami’s frontline was no match in this game.

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...