Highlights from the break

Football

Former Hurricane football star Jim Dooley passed away Jan. 8.

Top linebacker prospect Arthur Brown – East High School – verbally committed to the Hurricanes.

Top cornerback prospect Patrick Johnson Blanche Ely – decommitted from the Hurricanes and verbally committed to LSU.

Men’s Basketball

The Hurricanes have posted a 14-2 record thus far in the season.

The Hurricanes suffered their first loss of the season to Winthrop, 76-70.

The Hurricanes opened Atlantic Coast Conference play with a key win over Georgia Tech, 78-68.

Women’s Basketball

The Hurricanes have posted a 9-10 record since the start of the season.

In Atlantic Coast Conference play, the Hurricanes are 1-2, beating Clemson but suffering losses to Duke and Georgia Tech.

Cross Country

The Hurricane’s men’s cross country team earned Atlantic Coast Conference 2007 Sportsmanship of the Year Award.

Baseball

The Hurricanes open the season ranked No. 14 by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

Junior first baseman Yonder Alonso was named to the 2008 Louisville Slugger Pre-Season All-American second team by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

Sophomore pitcher Eric Erickson was named a pre-season All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writer’s Association.

Alonso, Erickson, sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski and junior second baseman Jemile Weeks were named to the pre-season watch list for the 2008 Brooks Wallace Player of the Year Award.

Soccer

Freshman forward Brittney Steinbruch and freshman midfielder Lauren Singer were named to the Soccerbuzz.com All-Freshman Team.

Steinbruch was also named First Team All-Freshman by Soccer America.

Track and Field

Former University of Miami track and field athlete Melanie Peters won the Walt Disney World Marathon.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...