Highlights from the break

Football

Former Hurricane football star Jim Dooley passed away Jan. 8.

Top linebacker prospect Arthur Brown – East High School – verbally committed to the Hurricanes.

Top cornerback prospect Patrick Johnson Blanche Ely – decommitted from the Hurricanes and verbally committed to LSU.

Men’s Basketball

The Hurricanes have posted a 14-2 record thus far in the season.

The Hurricanes suffered their first loss of the season to Winthrop, 76-70.

The Hurricanes opened Atlantic Coast Conference play with a key win over Georgia Tech, 78-68.

Women’s Basketball

The Hurricanes have posted a 9-10 record since the start of the season.

In Atlantic Coast Conference play, the Hurricanes are 1-2, beating Clemson but suffering losses to Duke and Georgia Tech.

Cross Country

The Hurricane’s men’s cross country team earned Atlantic Coast Conference 2007 Sportsmanship of the Year Award.

Baseball

The Hurricanes open the season ranked No. 14 by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

Junior first baseman Yonder Alonso was named to the 2008 Louisville Slugger Pre-Season All-American second team by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

Sophomore pitcher Eric Erickson was named a pre-season All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writer’s Association.

Alonso, Erickson, sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski and junior second baseman Jemile Weeks were named to the pre-season watch list for the 2008 Brooks Wallace Player of the Year Award.

Soccer

Freshman forward Brittney Steinbruch and freshman midfielder Lauren Singer were named to the Soccerbuzz.com All-Freshman Team.

Steinbruch was also named First Team All-Freshman by Soccer America.

Track and Field

Former University of Miami track and field athlete Melanie Peters won the Walt Disney World Marathon.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...