Highlights from the break

Football

Former Hurricane football star Jim Dooley passed away Jan. 8.

Top linebacker prospect Arthur Brown – East High School – verbally committed to the Hurricanes.

Top cornerback prospect Patrick Johnson Blanche Ely – decommitted from the Hurricanes and verbally committed to LSU.

Men’s Basketball

The Hurricanes have posted a 14-2 record thus far in the season.

The Hurricanes suffered their first loss of the season to Winthrop, 76-70.

The Hurricanes opened Atlantic Coast Conference play with a key win over Georgia Tech, 78-68.

Women’s Basketball

The Hurricanes have posted a 9-10 record since the start of the season.

In Atlantic Coast Conference play, the Hurricanes are 1-2, beating Clemson but suffering losses to Duke and Georgia Tech.

Cross Country

The Hurricane’s men’s cross country team earned Atlantic Coast Conference 2007 Sportsmanship of the Year Award.

Baseball

The Hurricanes open the season ranked No. 14 by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

Junior first baseman Yonder Alonso was named to the 2008 Louisville Slugger Pre-Season All-American second team by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

Sophomore pitcher Eric Erickson was named a pre-season All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writer’s Association.

Alonso, Erickson, sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski and junior second baseman Jemile Weeks were named to the pre-season watch list for the 2008 Brooks Wallace Player of the Year Award.

Soccer

Freshman forward Brittney Steinbruch and freshman midfielder Lauren Singer were named to the Soccerbuzz.com All-Freshman Team.

Steinbruch was also named First Team All-Freshman by Soccer America.

Track and Field

Former University of Miami track and field athlete Melanie Peters won the Walt Disney World Marathon.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...