Case closed for three students arrested last semester

Three University of Miami students were released on probation Dec. 5 after being accused in October of felony, battery and burglary charges.

According to court records, Arya Karamooz, a sophomore from Los Angeles, was released on five years probation with his case listed as closed. He was charged with two felonies, battery and burglary with assault.

The other two students, Cash Bernard, a junior and business major from Roslyn, N.Y., and Michael Duchon, a junior and entrepreneurship major from Warren, N.J., had all three misdemeanor charges of assault, battery and trespassing withheld. They received three years probation.

When asked if the charges against the three students would result in disciplinary action by the University of Miami, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall told The Miami Hurricane that he cannot divulge such information about student’s private data.

However, Hall noted that the university’s process for investigating the accused individuals will follow the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

The handbook classifies battery as a major offense that may result in suspension or expulsion.

The three students, who were arrested after entering sophomore Michael Rappaport’s condo and demanding drugs, were all released to their parents.

A representative from the Miami City Clerks Office said that because none of the students are Florida residents, they are also allowed to continue their required community service out-of-state.

This decision was decided by the judge and may vary from case to case.

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...