Case closed for three students arrested last semester

Three University of Miami students were released on probation Dec. 5 after being accused in October of felony, battery and burglary charges.

According to court records, Arya Karamooz, a sophomore from Los Angeles, was released on five years probation with his case listed as closed. He was charged with two felonies, battery and burglary with assault.

The other two students, Cash Bernard, a junior and business major from Roslyn, N.Y., and Michael Duchon, a junior and entrepreneurship major from Warren, N.J., had all three misdemeanor charges of assault, battery and trespassing withheld. They received three years probation.

When asked if the charges against the three students would result in disciplinary action by the University of Miami, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall told The Miami Hurricane that he cannot divulge such information about student’s private data.

However, Hall noted that the university’s process for investigating the accused individuals will follow the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

The handbook classifies battery as a major offense that may result in suspension or expulsion.

The three students, who were arrested after entering sophomore Michael Rappaport’s condo and demanding drugs, were all released to their parents.

A representative from the Miami City Clerks Office said that because none of the students are Florida residents, they are also allowed to continue their required community service out-of-state.

This decision was decided by the judge and may vary from case to case.

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

University of Miami’s new/old starting quarterback Malik Rosier thought his college football career ...

You know what the infamous N’Kosi Perry wads-o’-cash video brings to mind for me? The good old days. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday evening: ▪ Would you like a greater understanding of why ...

As the college football season continues toward the finish line, Bovada updated its odds on who can ...

More misfortune for the University of Miami football program. University of Miami freshman running b ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

Miami's offense has shown consistent improvement in practice and it is eager to shine on Friday ...

The University of Miami volleyball program closes out its homestand against instate rival Florida St ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami women's basketball placed fifth in the ACC Coaches' predicted order of finish, w ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up competition Tuesday at the ITA Southeast R ...