Case closed for three students arrested last semester

Three University of Miami students were released on probation Dec. 5 after being accused in October of felony, battery and burglary charges.

According to court records, Arya Karamooz, a sophomore from Los Angeles, was released on five years probation with his case listed as closed. He was charged with two felonies, battery and burglary with assault.

The other two students, Cash Bernard, a junior and business major from Roslyn, N.Y., and Michael Duchon, a junior and entrepreneurship major from Warren, N.J., had all three misdemeanor charges of assault, battery and trespassing withheld. They received three years probation.

When asked if the charges against the three students would result in disciplinary action by the University of Miami, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall told The Miami Hurricane that he cannot divulge such information about student’s private data.

However, Hall noted that the university’s process for investigating the accused individuals will follow the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

The handbook classifies battery as a major offense that may result in suspension or expulsion.

The three students, who were arrested after entering sophomore Michael Rappaport’s condo and demanding drugs, were all released to their parents.

A representative from the Miami City Clerks Office said that because none of the students are Florida residents, they are also allowed to continue their required community service out-of-state.

This decision was decided by the judge and may vary from case to case.

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...