The compelling fantasies of Pablo Cano

As I walked into the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in North Miami, I saw various contemporary artworks and exhibits, and I prepared myself for the surely eclectic Pablo Cano performance I was about to see. In the rear of the museum, Pablo Cano had a room full of adults and children under 5 years old ready to see his new creations. With marionettes, astounding musical compositions and intricate characters and stories, Pablo Cano’s new show did not disappoint.

“Viva Vaudeville” is Cano’s “personal journey through likes and dislikes,” he explained after the performance. “It was very autobiographical. I began the show with a marionette that resembled myself, and went from there.”

Indeed, the show begins with a mock conversation between a marionette – strongly resembling Cano – and a telephone from MOCA telling him they need a new show, and they would like him to bring it to them. Then, after the first hilariously creative acts starring “Bee Bee Butterfly,” “Nikki the Ant” and “Boring Boris,” Cano brings out an eight-foot-tall, paper-thin monument called the “Strong Man.” The “Strong Man” lifts up giant dumbbells with great ease as the band plays the sound effects of the original score for the piece, composed by Cano’s father.

The highlight of the show is the last pieces, “Lucifer Red Diablo and “Kiki She Devil,” in which the devil himself sings a Tony Martin love song to a she-devil in a touching, yet humorous scene.

Cano’s exhibition is truly a visual and musical masterpiece, as he uses household and street items with intricate designs to tell amusing stories over beautifully crafted sound effects and melodies to accompany the acts. From the light and playful, to the introspective and thought-provoking, Cano amuses his audience because he knows who they are. Though the crowd was largely under the age of 5 years old, anyone could enjoy and appreciate Cano’s creativity.

Pablo Cano’s “Viva Vaudeville” Performances and Exhibition is being held at the Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami from Oct. 20 to Dec. 29. Entry to the museum is $5 and $3 with a Student ID.

Dan Buyanovsky may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...