Somber candlelight vigil for Taylor w/ SLIDESHOW

POSTED DEC. 2 AT 9:30 P.M.

A week of mourning for Sean Taylor at the University of Miami culminated Saturday as students and members of the community came together for a candlelight vigil outside the BankUnited Center.

The school has planned a series of memorial actions and events for Taylor, including a banner which students have signed and that was presented to the Taylor family.

The vigil, immediately after Miami’s basketball win over St. John’s, featured speakers from the university, the football team and the family.

“Sean set an example — not just for football players, but for all student athletes,” said Emerson Davis, a swimmer and president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council.

Taylor was famous for his success in the defensive secondary at Miami and for the Washington Redskins. Head Coach Randy Shannon, Taylor’s defensive coordinator and the man who recruited him, shared stories about Taylor’s time at UM.

“Sean loved this campus more than you’ll ever know,” Shannon said. “He used to come at night during the offseason and run the campus, just to feel the energy.”

The most emotional moment came when Taylor’s girlfriend Jackie Garcia and father Pete Taylor came to the stage. Garcia, in tears, quickly thanked the crowd before leaving. Taylor spoke about the support the community has provided.

“Sean loved the U. He bled orange and green,” Taylor told the crowd. “My family is so, so, so proud.”

Taylor’s father ended with simple advice for the crowd:

“If you haven’t told a family member you love them, make sure you do.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...