Somber candlelight vigil for Taylor w/ SLIDESHOW

POSTED DEC. 2 AT 9:30 P.M.

A week of mourning for Sean Taylor at the University of Miami culminated Saturday as students and members of the community came together for a candlelight vigil outside the BankUnited Center.

The school has planned a series of memorial actions and events for Taylor, including a banner which students have signed and that was presented to the Taylor family.

The vigil, immediately after Miami’s basketball win over St. John’s, featured speakers from the university, the football team and the family.

“Sean set an example — not just for football players, but for all student athletes,” said Emerson Davis, a swimmer and president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council.

Taylor was famous for his success in the defensive secondary at Miami and for the Washington Redskins. Head Coach Randy Shannon, Taylor’s defensive coordinator and the man who recruited him, shared stories about Taylor’s time at UM.

“Sean loved this campus more than you’ll ever know,” Shannon said. “He used to come at night during the offseason and run the campus, just to feel the energy.”

The most emotional moment came when Taylor’s girlfriend Jackie Garcia and father Pete Taylor came to the stage. Garcia, in tears, quickly thanked the crowd before leaving. Taylor spoke about the support the community has provided.

“Sean loved the U. He bled orange and green,” Taylor told the crowd. “My family is so, so, so proud.”

Taylor’s father ended with simple advice for the crowd:

“If you haven’t told a family member you love them, make sure you do.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...