School announces ‘University of Miami Hospital’

POSTED DEC. 7 AT 12:32 P.M.

The University of Miami ended final negotiations Nov. 30 for the purchase of Cedars Medical Center.

The newly renamed University of Miami Hospital will be the first UM-owned hospital since the inception of the 55-year-old Miller School of Medicine.

Most Cedars medical staff will continue to work with UM at the 560-bed, single-room facility, and nurses, technicians and other staff will become UM employees.

Also, the university plans to expand certain specialty areas such as cardiology, urology and orthopedics.

“With this new flagship hospital, our top-ranked physicians will forge a new era in University of Miami-delivered care,” medical school Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt said in a press release. “This academic medical center will become a true medical destination.”

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...