School announces ‘University of Miami Hospital’

POSTED DEC. 7 AT 12:32 P.M.

The University of Miami ended final negotiations Nov. 30 for the purchase of Cedars Medical Center.

The newly renamed University of Miami Hospital will be the first UM-owned hospital since the inception of the 55-year-old Miller School of Medicine.

Most Cedars medical staff will continue to work with UM at the 560-bed, single-room facility, and nurses, technicians and other staff will become UM employees.

Also, the university plans to expand certain specialty areas such as cardiology, urology and orthopedics.

“With this new flagship hospital, our top-ranked physicians will forge a new era in University of Miami-delivered care,” medical school Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt said in a press release. “This academic medical center will become a true medical destination.”

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...