Research vessel damages reef, does not report incident timely

A University of Miami marine research vessel crashed into a coral reef in Biscayne National Park on Oct. 13, but the crew did not notify authorities, said Jennifer Johnson, a U.S. Coast Guard spokesperson.

The incident was reported later by Otis Brown, dean of the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, who sent an “official memorandum” to Biscayne National Park, said university spokesperson Barbra Gonzalez. Gonzalez said she is not authorized to divulge information about the length of time it took to report the incident. Still, Brown will be leading an internal investigation.

Parks managers said it took 10 days to report the incident, The Miami Herald reported.

The vessel crashed on its way down Hawk Channel when it hit a reef southeast of Elliot Key. The captain and crew onboard were UM employees accompanied by members from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

“The master of the vessel is supposed to verbally notify the Coast Guard immediately,” Johnson said. “They then have five days to file a written report, a federal form, required for all vessels that run aground. They didn’t do either.”

Johnson added that the university could face civil penalties in addition to having their license suspended or revoked. The Department of the Interior will handle consequences of damage done to the environment.

The U.S. Coast Guard is investigating the crew for possible negligence and for failing to immediately report the grounding to marine safety officers. Brown said the captain did not report the incident because after the crash he determined the vessel was still fit to sail.

Brown said the incident was not properly reported but that it was not intended to be covered up.

“We are all quite concerned about any damage to the environment and are particularly concerned about local coral ecosystems,” Brown said. “We have offered to work with the Park Service to repair any damage. Moreover, we are reviewing and strengthening all sailing procedures to minimize the possibility of any future accidents.”

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at c.isaacs1@umiami.edu

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...