Reports: Kirby to transfer to Baylor

POSTED DEC. 28 AT 5:57 P.M.

Kirby Freeman, who was initially named UM’s starting quarterback this season, has requested a release from scholarship and is looking to possibly transfer to a school closer to home in Texas, The Miami Herald reported last night, citing multiple UM sources.

Baylor coach Art Briles told the Waco (Texas) Tribune-Herald Thursday that the school received Freeman’s release from Miami last week.

Freeman, who walked at UM’s spring 2007 graduation and received his degree in sports administration, is originally from Brownwood, Texas, where his father is a high school football coach.

The younger Freeman would have been the only returning quarterback for the Canes next season. Freshman Robert Marve was redshirted this past season after injuring his non-throwing hand last summer in a car accident.

Miami is also welcoming what many consider to be a strong quarterback class, headlined by Miami Northwestern’s Jacory Harris. He and three-star recruit Cannon Smith will enroll next month, while Taylor Cook will join the team next fall.

Freeman’s highlight at UM will be the comeback drive against FSU this year, completing all three attempts on the drive, including a 13-yard Dedrick Epps touchdown reception to give Miami a lead they would never relinquish.

He ends his career with a 46.7 percent passing percentage, 12 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu and Matt Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...