Reports: Kirby to transfer to Baylor

POSTED DEC. 28 AT 5:57 P.M.

Kirby Freeman, who was initially named UM’s starting quarterback this season, has requested a release from scholarship and is looking to possibly transfer to a school closer to home in Texas, The Miami Herald reported last night, citing multiple UM sources.

Baylor coach Art Briles told the Waco (Texas) Tribune-Herald Thursday that the school received Freeman’s release from Miami last week.

Freeman, who walked at UM’s spring 2007 graduation and received his degree in sports administration, is originally from Brownwood, Texas, where his father is a high school football coach.

The younger Freeman would have been the only returning quarterback for the Canes next season. Freshman Robert Marve was redshirted this past season after injuring his non-throwing hand last summer in a car accident.

Miami is also welcoming what many consider to be a strong quarterback class, headlined by Miami Northwestern’s Jacory Harris. He and three-star recruit Cannon Smith will enroll next month, while Taylor Cook will join the team next fall.

Freeman’s highlight at UM will be the comeback drive against FSU this year, completing all three attempts on the drive, including a 13-yard Dedrick Epps touchdown reception to give Miami a lead they would never relinquish.

He ends his career with a 46.7 percent passing percentage, 12 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu and Matt Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...