Reports: Kirby to transfer to Baylor

POSTED DEC. 28 AT 5:57 P.M.

Kirby Freeman, who was initially named UM’s starting quarterback this season, has requested a release from scholarship and is looking to possibly transfer to a school closer to home in Texas, The Miami Herald reported last night, citing multiple UM sources.

Baylor coach Art Briles told the Waco (Texas) Tribune-Herald Thursday that the school received Freeman’s release from Miami last week.

Freeman, who walked at UM’s spring 2007 graduation and received his degree in sports administration, is originally from Brownwood, Texas, where his father is a high school football coach.

The younger Freeman would have been the only returning quarterback for the Canes next season. Freshman Robert Marve was redshirted this past season after injuring his non-throwing hand last summer in a car accident.

Miami is also welcoming what many consider to be a strong quarterback class, headlined by Miami Northwestern’s Jacory Harris. He and three-star recruit Cannon Smith will enroll next month, while Taylor Cook will join the team next fall.

Freeman’s highlight at UM will be the comeback drive against FSU this year, completing all three attempts on the drive, including a 13-yard Dedrick Epps touchdown reception to give Miami a lead they would never relinquish.

He ends his career with a 46.7 percent passing percentage, 12 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu and Matt Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory against No. 5 ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...