Reflecting on the meaning of ‘thankfulness’

It’s almost impossible to feel really good about oneself after Thanksgiving. No one can reflect upon their lives after a day spent in food-fueled revelry and think, “I made the world a better place today.” Whatever else it might be, Thanksgiving is not a holiday that celebrates sustainability and discipline; Turkey Day is the one day each year where overconsumption is hailed as a virtue. Nothing about the great American Feast Day tries to scale itself down. Millions of people drive or fly millions of miles to consume millions of pounds of food in order to celebrate the grand abundance of this country.

At least that is what the original Thanksgiving celebrations were meant to do.in a sense. Really, though, what that very first feast was meant to do was to say, “Thank everything that is good and holy for sending these natives to us so we didn’t all die from starvation.” Abundance was absolutely a reason for the celebration, but so was genuine thankfulness for their survival. Each and every person present at that early feast had personally been affected and very possibly saved by the abundance their nascent country had produced. They were all, in a very real sense, giving thanks for something very near and dear to their hearts: their own achievements and their own survival.

Thanksgiving is now nothing more than a forced celebration of this particular country and the “abundance” it provides. Saying that it is a day on which to “count one’s blessings” is absolutely correct, if only one can recognize that in counting those blessings the praises of the country are also sung. Perhaps the flags aren’t as prominent as they are on July 4, but the day is meant solely to increase one’s patriotism. After all, if one counts their blessings, must the country that provides for those things not also be praised?

Each person who participated in that first Thanksgiving was celebrating and reveling in their achievements. The whole thing was a self-congratulatory slap on the back, really.

If each one of the people in this country who celebrates Thanksgiving today could say to themselves that it was an opportunity to celebrate the work they had done to get to their current position, perhaps the holiday would have merit as a positive behavior reinforcer. But when it is nothing more than a week to “celebrate the country” by letting a decent portion of that country sit on its collective hind end, then perhaps those idle in that week would be better served by.going to work.

Andrew Hamner is a freshman majoring in journalism and political science and may be contacted at a.hamner@umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...