Police aware of campus theft

With three crime alerts since July 2 and an increase in theft on the Coral Gables campus, university police are implementing new tactics to curb crime.

Bicycle thefts have increased significantly this semester compared to past years, University of Miami Chief of Police David Rivero said.

In response, UMPD plans to implement mandatory bicycle registration for the spring semester. Also, any unlocked or abandoned bicycle will be immediately confiscated, as this attracts criminals, Rivero said.

A police report on Nov.7 said that GPS units in cars have been targeted recently. Rivero said the university has been using sting operations to catch vehicle burglars.

For example, an unlocked rental car is placed in a “heavy theft zone,” most often a parking lot, with a laptop sitting where it can be seen, usually in the back seat.

So far, no one has taken the bait, but Rivero said that since the sting operations have been implemented, thefts have decreased.

Still, sophomore Rachel Silberman said seeing doesn’t always lead to stealing.

“I left my cell phone on top of my car before my first class at 10:30 a.m. a few weeks ago,” she said. “I came back at 4 p.m., and it was still sitting there.”

John Pepper, crime prevention coordinator for UMPD, said “theft of unattended and unsecured property is the number one crime on the Coral Gables campus – usually 50 to 80 percent of all crime every month.”

Junior Aaron Helligman said his car was broken into last semester.

“Somehow they pried open the door and stole my radar detector,” he said. “With all the security around, that seems like a pretty hefty task.”

In the past months, two known criminals have been arrested for loitering and prowling on the Coral Gables campus. After a warning, Rivero and other officers tell offenders “you can never come back. If you do, we’re going to arrest you.”

“That’s the beauty of UM,” Rivero said. “We’re private property.”

UMPD asks anyone with information regarding any crime, or information that may lead to the arrest of those responsible to call 305.284.6666 or Crimestoppers at 305.471.TIPS. Informants’ anonymity is guaranteed and may receive a cash reward.

“[The department is] trying to educate our folks by using crime alerts and by way of crime prevention presentations,” Rivero said. “We need everyone to be our eyes and ears.”

Joshua Newman may be contacted at j.newman4@umiami.edu.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...