Healthy Cane Column

I have heard about students contracting serious diseases from living in a dorm because of the circulating central air, is this possible?

It’s not the air that increases the occurrence of diseases, it’s all the cuddling and sharing sodas, makeup, clothes, toothbrushes, shot glasses, pillows and.well, you get the picture.

Although diseases such as meningococcal meningitis have been found to fester in college dormitories, Dr. Howard Anapol, director of the Health Center said that diseases such as meningitis are spread through close contact, and are not likely to be affected by central air units.

The close quarters that students live in and the personal contact – ahem, sex – in college-aged students increases the likelihood of contracting diseases such as meningitis, mononucleosis, viral Gastroenteritis, the flu and other diseases such as the common cold and – I know no one likes to think about it – but STDs!

There is some good news: you can avoid getting these diseases! Exciting, I know. But how you may ask? Well, stop being so gross! Don’t share your personal products, wash your hands ALL THE TIME, and try not to swap spit with someone with a cold or a cold sore. Yes, you can get Herpes from kissing someone with a herpes sore and yes the rumors are true that herpes can be spread to OTHER parts of your body.

Also, take vitamin C – that shouldn’t be difficult living in Florida – and make sure your immunizations are up to date. The University of Miami requires proof of immunizations against measles, mumps, rubella and, for those of you who are international, tuberculosis screening. The university suggests that all students receive immunization against chicken pox, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (the last three are combined in one shot so don’t get scared), hepatitis and meningococcal meningitis.

These immunizations are offered to all students at the health center at various costs depending on the vaccination – the hepatitis A and B shots are $65, meningitis is $95 and tetanus is $55.

Information derived from WebMD.com and Dr. Anapol from The University of Miami Health Center.

Ashleyann Gosselin may be contacted at a.gosselin@umiami.edu.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...