Communication dean finalist for spot at Syracuse

POSTED JAN. 15, 2008 AT 10:05 P.M.
UPDATED 10:48 P.M.

Only in his junior year, one University of Miami dean is a candidate for the same post at one of the nation’s foremost communication schools.

The Daily Orange reported Tuesday that School of Communication Dean Sam L. Grogg was one of two finalists for the top spot at Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

While The Orange reported Grogg would visit Syracuse from Jan. 24 to 25 for “discussion and consideration for the post,” the dean told The Miami Hurricane Tuesday night that he did not know whether he would visit.

Syracuse approached him in fall 2007, Grogg told The Hurricane. He sent an e-mail to communication faculty members Tuesday afternoon saying he was flattered that Newhouse is interested, but has “no intention” of leaving UM.

Karla Hernandez, UM’s director of media relations, said the university does not comment on personnel matters.

Previously serving as dean at the American Film Institute’s Conservatory, Grogg came to UM in 2005. He succeeded the School of Communication’s founding dean, Edward J. Pfister.

Grogg, who has a Ph.D. in popular culture and film from Bowling Green University, led the school last year when it was awarded a $10 million grant from the Knight Foundation, which created the Knight Center for International Media. The two chairs for the center will be announced Wednesday.

Lorraine E. Branham, director of the School of Journalism at the University of Texas, is the other finalist for the Newhouse position.

The Miami Hurricane is affiliated with the School of Communication, but is editorially independent.

Check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...