Communication dean finalist for spot at Syracuse

POSTED JAN. 15, 2008 AT 10:05 P.M.
UPDATED 10:48 P.M.

Only in his junior year, one University of Miami dean is a candidate for the same post at one of the nation’s foremost communication schools.

The Daily Orange reported Tuesday that School of Communication Dean Sam L. Grogg was one of two finalists for the top spot at Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

While The Orange reported Grogg would visit Syracuse from Jan. 24 to 25 for “discussion and consideration for the post,” the dean told The Miami Hurricane Tuesday night that he did not know whether he would visit.

Syracuse approached him in fall 2007, Grogg told The Hurricane. He sent an e-mail to communication faculty members Tuesday afternoon saying he was flattered that Newhouse is interested, but has “no intention” of leaving UM.

Karla Hernandez, UM’s director of media relations, said the university does not comment on personnel matters.

Previously serving as dean at the American Film Institute’s Conservatory, Grogg came to UM in 2005. He succeeded the School of Communication’s founding dean, Edward J. Pfister.

Grogg, who has a Ph.D. in popular culture and film from Bowling Green University, led the school last year when it was awarded a $10 million grant from the Knight Foundation, which created the Knight Center for International Media. The two chairs for the center will be announced Wednesday.

Lorraine E. Branham, director of the School of Journalism at the University of Texas, is the other finalist for the Newhouse position.

The Miami Hurricane is affiliated with the School of Communication, but is editorially independent.

Check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...