Club Richter: The hot commodity

Final exams are approaching, and that means stress and anxiety levels will soar like my cholesterol after eating Chartwells. The most popular place or thing on campus, surprisingly, will not be the University of Miami men’s basketball team (which continues to impress each day); it will not be the textbooks that students dig their noses into; and it will not be the mocha latte cappuccinos served at Starbucks or the energy boosters at Jamba Juice. It will be the. (drum roll, please) Otto G. Richter Library! Forget about Cameo, Mansion and Suite. Club Richter will be the hottest club in Miami this December. Students will go all out just to get in. No wristbands needed, no Facebook club promoting, no dressing up, no taxi rides and no fake IDs! All you need is your Cane Card.

Americans have been known to wait in line for exclusive things. Examples include waiting in line to be the first to get the iPhone, Furby or auditions for American Idol. Americans love the prestige of being one of the few to get that certain something. Will students camp out during reading days just to get a prime studying spot? Exactly how crowded will the library get? Will bouncers be necessary? Will students fight over chairs? Will students hop the turnstile?

Here is a helpful hint for all of you rookies. Do you know what the biggest secret at the University of Miami is? It is not Merlin’s magic sauce at the stir-fry station in Chartwells. It is (another drum roll please).the Stacks! Head up to the second floor of Richter and go to the elevator at the far end. There are seven floors full of cubicles. Once you start studying there, you just can’t stop.

So, will every cubicle be used in the Stacks? Will students bring pillows and sleep in the Stacks? Are students willing to leave their books and laptops unattended in order to get food? Theft is the number one crime on campus. Is the risk worth the reward? These are questions that askjeeves.com could not even answer. Only time will tell. But one thing is for sure: This is going to be a December to remember at Club Richter.

Justin Antweil is a freshman majoring in print journalism and economics. He may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...