WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL: Squad loses both matches on final road trip

After earning a key victory last Sunday against Boston College at home, the Miami Hurricanes women’s volleyball team looked to carry the momentum into its final two away games against the Tigers and Yellow Jackets.

The Canes (12-17, 6-14 ACC) had lost to both conference teams at home earlier in the season.

Coming into Thursday night’s game, Clemson held the league’s best overall record at 24-3 and was just outside of the Top 25.

Although sophomore Cassie Loessberg recorded a match-high 23 digs to become the school’s single-season dig leader, passing Jamie Grass’s mark from 2002, the Hurricanes fell to the Tigers 3-0.

“Jamie Grass definitely set the standard when it came to passing and defense and it is quite an honor for Cassie,” Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We hope that as she is able to work towards breaking her own record again before her career at UM is over.”

Clemson was led by junior Danielle Hepburn with 12 kills and sophomore Didem Ege’s defense of 17 digs.

“We played a pretty good match but when you’re going up against the league’s top team, you’ve got to play great and take advantage of every opportunity,” Lantagne Welch said.

On Friday night, the Canes faced Georgia Tech, who is third in the ACC standings with a 19-9 record and has won eight of its last nine.

The Canes were out-hit .364 to .149 and lost 3-1.

Miami fell behind early as it lost its first two games 30-15 and 30-18.

Despite regrouping to win the third game 30-28, the Yellow Jackets recaptured control of the fourth game to finish 30-18.

Senior Ciara Michel recorded 10 kills for UM along with four block assists, while Mayhew had 18 kills though she committed 15 errors.

Loessberg continued her digging prowess with a team-high nine digs.

Miami now returns home for its final week of the regular season to play North Carolina on Wednesday and North Carolina State on Friday.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...