WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL: Squad loses both matches on final road trip

After earning a key victory last Sunday against Boston College at home, the Miami Hurricanes women’s volleyball team looked to carry the momentum into its final two away games against the Tigers and Yellow Jackets.

The Canes (12-17, 6-14 ACC) had lost to both conference teams at home earlier in the season.

Coming into Thursday night’s game, Clemson held the league’s best overall record at 24-3 and was just outside of the Top 25.

Although sophomore Cassie Loessberg recorded a match-high 23 digs to become the school’s single-season dig leader, passing Jamie Grass’s mark from 2002, the Hurricanes fell to the Tigers 3-0.

“Jamie Grass definitely set the standard when it came to passing and defense and it is quite an honor for Cassie,” Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We hope that as she is able to work towards breaking her own record again before her career at UM is over.”

Clemson was led by junior Danielle Hepburn with 12 kills and sophomore Didem Ege’s defense of 17 digs.

“We played a pretty good match but when you’re going up against the league’s top team, you’ve got to play great and take advantage of every opportunity,” Lantagne Welch said.

On Friday night, the Canes faced Georgia Tech, who is third in the ACC standings with a 19-9 record and has won eight of its last nine.

The Canes were out-hit .364 to .149 and lost 3-1.

Miami fell behind early as it lost its first two games 30-15 and 30-18.

Despite regrouping to win the third game 30-28, the Yellow Jackets recaptured control of the fourth game to finish 30-18.

Senior Ciara Michel recorded 10 kills for UM along with four block assists, while Mayhew had 18 kills though she committed 15 errors.

Loessberg continued her digging prowess with a team-high nine digs.

Miami now returns home for its final week of the regular season to play North Carolina on Wednesday and North Carolina State on Friday.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...