WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL: Squad loses both matches on final road trip

After earning a key victory last Sunday against Boston College at home, the Miami Hurricanes women’s volleyball team looked to carry the momentum into its final two away games against the Tigers and Yellow Jackets.

The Canes (12-17, 6-14 ACC) had lost to both conference teams at home earlier in the season.

Coming into Thursday night’s game, Clemson held the league’s best overall record at 24-3 and was just outside of the Top 25.

Although sophomore Cassie Loessberg recorded a match-high 23 digs to become the school’s single-season dig leader, passing Jamie Grass’s mark from 2002, the Hurricanes fell to the Tigers 3-0.

“Jamie Grass definitely set the standard when it came to passing and defense and it is quite an honor for Cassie,” Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We hope that as she is able to work towards breaking her own record again before her career at UM is over.”

Clemson was led by junior Danielle Hepburn with 12 kills and sophomore Didem Ege’s defense of 17 digs.

“We played a pretty good match but when you’re going up against the league’s top team, you’ve got to play great and take advantage of every opportunity,” Lantagne Welch said.

On Friday night, the Canes faced Georgia Tech, who is third in the ACC standings with a 19-9 record and has won eight of its last nine.

The Canes were out-hit .364 to .149 and lost 3-1.

Miami fell behind early as it lost its first two games 30-15 and 30-18.

Despite regrouping to win the third game 30-28, the Yellow Jackets recaptured control of the fourth game to finish 30-18.

Senior Ciara Michel recorded 10 kills for UM along with four block assists, while Mayhew had 18 kills though she committed 15 errors.

Loessberg continued her digging prowess with a team-high nine digs.

Miami now returns home for its final week of the regular season to play North Carolina on Wednesday and North Carolina State on Friday.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...