WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL: Squad loses both matches on final road trip

After earning a key victory last Sunday against Boston College at home, the Miami Hurricanes women’s volleyball team looked to carry the momentum into its final two away games against the Tigers and Yellow Jackets.

The Canes (12-17, 6-14 ACC) had lost to both conference teams at home earlier in the season.

Coming into Thursday night’s game, Clemson held the league’s best overall record at 24-3 and was just outside of the Top 25.

Although sophomore Cassie Loessberg recorded a match-high 23 digs to become the school’s single-season dig leader, passing Jamie Grass’s mark from 2002, the Hurricanes fell to the Tigers 3-0.

“Jamie Grass definitely set the standard when it came to passing and defense and it is quite an honor for Cassie,” Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We hope that as she is able to work towards breaking her own record again before her career at UM is over.”

Clemson was led by junior Danielle Hepburn with 12 kills and sophomore Didem Ege’s defense of 17 digs.

“We played a pretty good match but when you’re going up against the league’s top team, you’ve got to play great and take advantage of every opportunity,” Lantagne Welch said.

On Friday night, the Canes faced Georgia Tech, who is third in the ACC standings with a 19-9 record and has won eight of its last nine.

The Canes were out-hit .364 to .149 and lost 3-1.

Miami fell behind early as it lost its first two games 30-15 and 30-18.

Despite regrouping to win the third game 30-28, the Yellow Jackets recaptured control of the fourth game to finish 30-18.

Senior Ciara Michel recorded 10 kills for UM along with four block assists, while Mayhew had 18 kills though she committed 15 errors.

Loessberg continued her digging prowess with a team-high nine digs.

Miami now returns home for its final week of the regular season to play North Carolina on Wednesday and North Carolina State on Friday.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...