UM passed over for ’08 debate

POSTED NOV. 20 AT 8:54 P.M.

The University of Miami applied to host the 2008 presidential debate, competing against 19 other universities, but did not make the final cut.

The Commission on Presidential Debates announced Monday that the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Miss.; Belmont University in Nashville, Tenn. and Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. will host the debates leading up to the Nov. 4 presidential election.

Washington University in St. Louis, which hosted a presidential debate in 2000 and 2004, will host the vice presidential debate.

UM hosted the first presidential debate during the 2004 campaign, which featured President George W. Bush and Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry.

“Hosting the 2004 debate was a tremendous opportunity for students, for faculty and staff at UM,” said Rudy Fernandez, vice president for government affairs. “President [Donna E.] Shalala is still very excited that we are hosting the two Univision/University of Miami forums because she will be able to keep the promise that every presidential candidate still visits the university during the election cycle.”

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu

Debate dates:
-First presidential debate on Sept. 26 at the University of Mississippi in Oxford
-Vice presidential debate on Oct. 2 at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri
-Second presidential debate Oct. 7 at Belmont University in Nashville, Tenn.
-Third presidential debate on Oct. 15 at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y.

Quick Facts:
-UM hosted one of three Presidential Debates. Washington University in St. Louis and Arizona State University hosted the other two.
-Television viewership last time UM hosted: 62.4 million (Nielsen Media Reasearch)
-250 students attended and watched the debate live; the most students ever to watch a debate live on a college campus. They were selected from a group of 689 who submitted essays.
-3,000 credentialed media attended, with “Crossfire” broadcast from the UC Patio and “Hardball” from the UC Rock.
-More than 200 daily newspapers featured the debate, and mentioned the University of Miami the next day.

– Compiled by Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...