SPORTS BRIEFS

Baseball
Canes announce 2008 schedule

The Miami Hurricanes announced their 2008 schedule, which includes 54 regular-season games. The schedule consists of 36 home games and 20 games against teams that made it to the NCAA Tournament in 2007.

The lineup also includes an always-tough Atlantic Coast Conference schedule and 12 games against non-conference teams from within the state.

“This will be another challenging schedule for us,” Coach Jim Morris said. “We play one of the toughest conference schedules in the country and welcome several tough games against in-state competition. We have 36 home games that our fans should be excited about as we get ready for another great season of Hurricane baseball. This schedule will prepare us for where we want to be come June.”

Women’s Basketball
Four new players signed to team

Women’s basketball coach Katie Meier recently announced the signing of Sylvia Bullock, Shenise Johnson, Jazmond Stringer and Riquna Williams to National Letters of Intent.

Bullock is a 6-foot-1 forward, who was named second team all-state by the Anchorage Daily News, as she averaged 22 points and 12 rebounds as a junior.

Johnson is a 5-foot-11 guard who is rated as the No. 16 recruit by Hoopgurlz.com. According to Big Apple Recruitings, Johnson is the top rated player in New York, and she is a first-team all-state AA selection by the New York State Sportswriters’ Association.

Stringer is a 6-foot-4 forward who is relatively new to the game, as she has only played basketball for three years, but she still managed to average 12.6 points and 8.0 rebounds her junior year.

Williams is a 5-foot-7 guard who is rated as one of the top 20 guards in the country. She earned the 2006-07 Palm Beach Post Small School Player of the Year, and she was a second team Class 3A all-state selection.

Compiled from hurricanesports.com

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...