SPORTS BRIEFS

Baseball
Canes announce 2008 schedule

The Miami Hurricanes announced their 2008 schedule, which includes 54 regular-season games. The schedule consists of 36 home games and 20 games against teams that made it to the NCAA Tournament in 2007.

The lineup also includes an always-tough Atlantic Coast Conference schedule and 12 games against non-conference teams from within the state.

“This will be another challenging schedule for us,” Coach Jim Morris said. “We play one of the toughest conference schedules in the country and welcome several tough games against in-state competition. We have 36 home games that our fans should be excited about as we get ready for another great season of Hurricane baseball. This schedule will prepare us for where we want to be come June.”

Women’s Basketball
Four new players signed to team

Women’s basketball coach Katie Meier recently announced the signing of Sylvia Bullock, Shenise Johnson, Jazmond Stringer and Riquna Williams to National Letters of Intent.

Bullock is a 6-foot-1 forward, who was named second team all-state by the Anchorage Daily News, as she averaged 22 points and 12 rebounds as a junior.

Johnson is a 5-foot-11 guard who is rated as the No. 16 recruit by Hoopgurlz.com. According to Big Apple Recruitings, Johnson is the top rated player in New York, and she is a first-team all-state AA selection by the New York State Sportswriters’ Association.

Stringer is a 6-foot-4 forward who is relatively new to the game, as she has only played basketball for three years, but she still managed to average 12.6 points and 8.0 rebounds her junior year.

Williams is a 5-foot-7 guard who is rated as one of the top 20 guards in the country. She earned the 2006-07 Palm Beach Post Small School Player of the Year, and she was a second team Class 3A all-state selection.

Compiled from hurricanesports.com

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...