SPORTS BRIEFS

Baseball
Canes announce 2008 schedule

The Miami Hurricanes announced their 2008 schedule, which includes 54 regular-season games. The schedule consists of 36 home games and 20 games against teams that made it to the NCAA Tournament in 2007.

The lineup also includes an always-tough Atlantic Coast Conference schedule and 12 games against non-conference teams from within the state.

“This will be another challenging schedule for us,” Coach Jim Morris said. “We play one of the toughest conference schedules in the country and welcome several tough games against in-state competition. We have 36 home games that our fans should be excited about as we get ready for another great season of Hurricane baseball. This schedule will prepare us for where we want to be come June.”

Women’s Basketball
Four new players signed to team

Women’s basketball coach Katie Meier recently announced the signing of Sylvia Bullock, Shenise Johnson, Jazmond Stringer and Riquna Williams to National Letters of Intent.

Bullock is a 6-foot-1 forward, who was named second team all-state by the Anchorage Daily News, as she averaged 22 points and 12 rebounds as a junior.

Johnson is a 5-foot-11 guard who is rated as the No. 16 recruit by Hoopgurlz.com. According to Big Apple Recruitings, Johnson is the top rated player in New York, and she is a first-team all-state AA selection by the New York State Sportswriters’ Association.

Stringer is a 6-foot-4 forward who is relatively new to the game, as she has only played basketball for three years, but she still managed to average 12.6 points and 8.0 rebounds her junior year.

Williams is a 5-foot-7 guard who is rated as one of the top 20 guards in the country. She earned the 2006-07 Palm Beach Post Small School Player of the Year, and she was a second team Class 3A all-state selection.

Compiled from hurricanesports.com

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...