SPORTS BRIEFS

Baseball
Canes announce 2008 schedule

The Miami Hurricanes announced their 2008 schedule, which includes 54 regular-season games. The schedule consists of 36 home games and 20 games against teams that made it to the NCAA Tournament in 2007.

The lineup also includes an always-tough Atlantic Coast Conference schedule and 12 games against non-conference teams from within the state.

“This will be another challenging schedule for us,” Coach Jim Morris said. “We play one of the toughest conference schedules in the country and welcome several tough games against in-state competition. We have 36 home games that our fans should be excited about as we get ready for another great season of Hurricane baseball. This schedule will prepare us for where we want to be come June.”

Women’s Basketball
Four new players signed to team

Women’s basketball coach Katie Meier recently announced the signing of Sylvia Bullock, Shenise Johnson, Jazmond Stringer and Riquna Williams to National Letters of Intent.

Bullock is a 6-foot-1 forward, who was named second team all-state by the Anchorage Daily News, as she averaged 22 points and 12 rebounds as a junior.

Johnson is a 5-foot-11 guard who is rated as the No. 16 recruit by Hoopgurlz.com. According to Big Apple Recruitings, Johnson is the top rated player in New York, and she is a first-team all-state AA selection by the New York State Sportswriters’ Association.

Stringer is a 6-foot-4 forward who is relatively new to the game, as she has only played basketball for three years, but she still managed to average 12.6 points and 8.0 rebounds her junior year.

Williams is a 5-foot-7 guard who is rated as one of the top 20 guards in the country. She earned the 2006-07 Palm Beach Post Small School Player of the Year, and she was a second team Class 3A all-state selection.

Compiled from hurricanesports.com

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...