Should’ve been a clean break

Dear Hurriqueen,

I dated and had a sexual relationship with this guy. Since being with him didn’t exactly light my fire, I broke up with him after a few weeks. The truth is, I was using him as an excuse to break up with my ex. But now I don’t talk to the guy I used, and I see him around campus all the time. I feel like I should talk to him and try to get along, but I just don’t want him in my life. Should I try to “kiss and make up” for the sake of my sanity, or should I continue ignoring him? I trust you, Hurriqueen. Help!

– Annoyed and Confused

Dear Reader,

Did you think I could fix this for you? Did you think I could just make it okay for you to have “used” a guy and then just ditched him to the wayside? Player, please. The Hurriqueen can’t undo karma. And even if he could, I don’t think he would.

What I will do, however, is give you a piece of my mind. And in the process, I hope that you are able to realize that you must change your insensitive ways.

First off, when the time comes to break up with a boyfriend, the ethical thing to do is explain to the man why the relationship is over. Come clean. Yes, this is hard, but it’s a hell of a lot more decent than shacking up with some other guy to get out quick. I mean, really, think about how the first ex must have felt!

And even if you’re incapable of considering other peoples’ emotions, think about the rollercoaster you’ve put yourself on! Did you feel particularly good about going straight from one guy to the next? Next time you have a break up, take a break to reflect on the relationship. Consider the mistakes and then think about what to do differently with the next man.

Now let’s move on to the poor boy you’ve admittedly used. I sure hope the sex wasn’t good for him. Take it from me – it’s belittling to find out you were just the temporary replacement to someone you were actually interested in. So do him a favor: Don’t tell him you used him. Instead, apologize to him for any harm done and remain cordial in all social settings. You don’t have to be BFFs, but ignoring him will just create more animosity.

You may feel that this response is harsh, but I strongly suggest that you heed my advice. Otherwise, repeating such behavior could give you a hideous reputation. And we both know how small this campus is.

That’s all.

XOXO,

The Hurriqueen

Send questions to Hurriqueen@gmail.com. He’ll get to them, if he feels like it.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...