November through March Madness

Football season in Miami is over. The Orange Bowl is finished, but at least it was a classy exit, right? At best, a bowl game is possible. It’s time to put away your Baby-J and T-Good jerseys and throw on your Jack McClinton III jersey. While Miami is and always will be a football-first school, how about giving basketball a chance? We did finish 12-20 last year and 4-12 in the ACC, but that is no reason to fret.

First, there is Jack McClinton. Apple Jack was the best three-point and free-throw shooter in the ACC last year. Starting at point guard, Lance Hurdle is a junior transfer with a reported 40+ inch vertical jump. At small forward, Brian Asbury and Adrian Thomas are well-rounded, slashing, three-point-shooting defensive animals. Now let’s move on to our front court. Dwayne Collins, Jimmy Graham and Anthony King all rotate at power forward and center and all are equally effective. Graham is a high-energy rebounding machine, seemingly never tired as he chases the ball all over the court. King is coming off an injury year and has looked extremely sharp. He rebounds, posts up effectively and runs the pick and pop very well. Dwayne Collins, a freshman sensation last year, blocks shots, rebounds and dunks in your face. The Hurricanes have much-touted rookie Eddie Rios coming off the bench, along with shooter James Dews and enforcer Raymond Hicks.

Our team has been overlooked and has played second fiddle to football. I guarantee a winning season this year, and if not, I will refund your tickets. Oh wait.it’s free. Well, instead of giving up on Hurricane sports with the end of the football season, how about rocking the BUC just like UVA rocked us.

Tom Barnes is a freshman majoring in marine science and biology. He may be contacted at t.barnes3@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...