November through March Madness

Football season in Miami is over. The Orange Bowl is finished, but at least it was a classy exit, right? At best, a bowl game is possible. It’s time to put away your Baby-J and T-Good jerseys and throw on your Jack McClinton III jersey. While Miami is and always will be a football-first school, how about giving basketball a chance? We did finish 12-20 last year and 4-12 in the ACC, but that is no reason to fret.

First, there is Jack McClinton. Apple Jack was the best three-point and free-throw shooter in the ACC last year. Starting at point guard, Lance Hurdle is a junior transfer with a reported 40+ inch vertical jump. At small forward, Brian Asbury and Adrian Thomas are well-rounded, slashing, three-point-shooting defensive animals. Now let’s move on to our front court. Dwayne Collins, Jimmy Graham and Anthony King all rotate at power forward and center and all are equally effective. Graham is a high-energy rebounding machine, seemingly never tired as he chases the ball all over the court. King is coming off an injury year and has looked extremely sharp. He rebounds, posts up effectively and runs the pick and pop very well. Dwayne Collins, a freshman sensation last year, blocks shots, rebounds and dunks in your face. The Hurricanes have much-touted rookie Eddie Rios coming off the bench, along with shooter James Dews and enforcer Raymond Hicks.

Our team has been overlooked and has played second fiddle to football. I guarantee a winning season this year, and if not, I will refund your tickets. Oh wait.it’s free. Well, instead of giving up on Hurricane sports with the end of the football season, how about rocking the BUC just like UVA rocked us.

Tom Barnes is a freshman majoring in marine science and biology. He may be contacted at t.barnes3@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...