November through March Madness

Football season in Miami is over. The Orange Bowl is finished, but at least it was a classy exit, right? At best, a bowl game is possible. It’s time to put away your Baby-J and T-Good jerseys and throw on your Jack McClinton III jersey. While Miami is and always will be a football-first school, how about giving basketball a chance? We did finish 12-20 last year and 4-12 in the ACC, but that is no reason to fret.

First, there is Jack McClinton. Apple Jack was the best three-point and free-throw shooter in the ACC last year. Starting at point guard, Lance Hurdle is a junior transfer with a reported 40+ inch vertical jump. At small forward, Brian Asbury and Adrian Thomas are well-rounded, slashing, three-point-shooting defensive animals. Now let’s move on to our front court. Dwayne Collins, Jimmy Graham and Anthony King all rotate at power forward and center and all are equally effective. Graham is a high-energy rebounding machine, seemingly never tired as he chases the ball all over the court. King is coming off an injury year and has looked extremely sharp. He rebounds, posts up effectively and runs the pick and pop very well. Dwayne Collins, a freshman sensation last year, blocks shots, rebounds and dunks in your face. The Hurricanes have much-touted rookie Eddie Rios coming off the bench, along with shooter James Dews and enforcer Raymond Hicks.

Our team has been overlooked and has played second fiddle to football. I guarantee a winning season this year, and if not, I will refund your tickets. Oh wait.it’s free. Well, instead of giving up on Hurricane sports with the end of the football season, how about rocking the BUC just like UVA rocked us.

Tom Barnes is a freshman majoring in marine science and biology. He may be contacted at t.barnes3@umiami.edu.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...