Women’s Volleyball: Split weekend: Miami loses to Maryland, sweeps BC

The University of Miami women’s volleyball team was swept by Maryland in the Knights Sports Complex Friday night. They then rebounded and swept the Boston College Eagles on Sunday afternoon.

The Canes finished the weekend with a 12-15 record overall and 6-12 in conference play.

UM is now ninth in the ACC standings with four regular season games remaining.

In Friday night’s loss to Maryland, freshman Katie Gallagher became the first Hurricane freshman and the third player in school history to record 1,000 assists in a season. She reached the 1,000 assists mark during the first game with her tenth assist of the night.

“It’s a great honor for Katie,” Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We hope to see a lot more of the same from her in the future. It was definitely a bright spot in an otherwise gloomy night.”

Gallagher finished with 39 assists, four kills, seven digs and an ace.

Sophomore Genny Mayhew led the team with 13 kills, while junior Bridget Bomhack ended the night with nine. Senior Ciara Michel and freshman Maria Andersson each chipped in with seven.

Maryland proved to be the better team as they easily won 30-25, 30-23 and 30-27.

The Hurricanes have now lost five of their last six matches against Maryland.

The key to the match was at the front court. Maryland outperformed Miami in blocks with nine-and-a-half total team blocks to two.

Coming into Sunday’s matinee match against Boston College, Miami had lost 11 of 14 of their matches this season.

After being down 7-1 early in game one, Miami rallied together and never looked back, sweeping the Eagles 30-21, 30-26 and 30-24.

“We were clicking on all cylinders,” Lantagne Welch said. “We hit over .300, which is excellent for us, and we served really tough too to take them out of their rhythm.”

Miami had 11 total service aces compared to Boston College’s four.

Gallagher continued to impress and finished with a match-high 47 assists. Mayhew continued her strong play as of late and recorded a match-high 19 kills while adding four digs.

“I can’t say enough about how Genny has learned and grown as a hitter this year,” Lantagne Welch said. “She is doing a phenomenal job carrying the offensive load for us.”

Andersson finished with a double-double, recording 10 kills and 14 digs. Bomhack and sophomore Cassie Loessberg each finished with nine digs.

Loessberg needs just eight more digs this season to become UM’s all-time leader of digs in a season. She is currently second behind Jamie Grass’s record total of 499, set in 2002.

The Canes will hit the road this weekend to play Clemson and Georgia Tech, the number one and three teams in the ACC respectively.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...