WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Hesitation hinders Miami against Jacksonville

The Hurricane women’s basketball team fell 72-64 to the Jacksonville Dolphins Tuesday night at the BankUnited Center.

“It was a careless loss for us,” Coach Katie Meier said. “I’m very disappointed. I don’t think we responded well to adversity.”

Miami never found a rhythm. Jacksonville outplayed the Canes from the opening tip-off.

Miami finished the game with 22 turnovers and 36-percent shooting from the field.

“You could see them getting stronger,” Meier said. “We looked very inexperienced.”

Miami was able to get out on multiple fast breaks early, which seemed to cause some problems for the Jacksonville defense.

However, that was all the good that came out of the Canes’ offense in the first half.

The Hurricanes trailed going into halftime 30-26 after 13 first-half turnovers and 32-percent shooting (11 percent from behind the arc).

“I was concerned about our attitude,” Meier said. “We looked young. We looked very, very young.”

Miami senior center Carla Williams, along with the rest of the defense, held the ball inside and limited the Dolphins to only 14 points in the paint and eight second-chance points. The Canes were able to force Jacksonville to shoot three pointers or outside jump shots.

However, Jacksonville’s guards were able to respond to the challenge, shooting 38 percent from the three-point range at the half.

“They attacked us,” Reid said. “Their guards are good and they wanted the game.”

The Canes could not find any momentum in the second half.

“We stopped rebounding and missed defensive assignments,” Meier said. “We were very scared to lose.”

Miami went on a nine-minute scoring drought late in the second half, which ultimately sealed Jacksonville’s victory.

The Dolphins finished with 16 steals compared to Miami’s five.

“Jacksonville took care of the ball in the second half,” Meier said. “Most of our turnovers were hesitation turnovers.”

Jacksonville junior guard Virginia Gregoire led all scorers with 26 points. Time and again, Gregoire, an all-preseason guard, was able to penetrate Miami’s perimeter defense for easy scores.

With five minutes left in the game, Gregoire hit a three to put the Dolphins up 55-47. The arena went silent and Jacksonville did not look back.

The Canes showed great courage in making a run late. Senior Maurita Reid was fouled on a tough lay-up off of a steal with a minute-and-a-half left. After converting her foul shot, the Canes had slimmed Jacksonville’s lead to only five points in a game that seemed out of reach.

“We have to learn, as a team, to pick each other up and to pick ourselves up,” Reid said.

The Canes will host Michigan next Monday, Nov. 19, at 7 p.m. at the BankUnited Center as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

Rory Lincoln may be contacted at r.lincoln@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...