Two students represented in international film festival

Thirty films, 15 countries, two University of Miami students and one dark thriller will be represented Sunday for the Marbella International Film Festival at Cosford Cinema.

Mark Mocahbee, a graduate student pursuing an MFA in screen writing, and Maria Ferrer, a senior studying music theater, both received recognition in Spain, where the festival began in October.

Mocahbee won second place in the short film category for “Interconnected,” a 13-minute thriller about a man who sees horrible visions of the future. Mocahbee edited, directed and acted in the film, while UM alumnus Bruce Woodand wrote and produced the film.

Ferrer started working for the film festival two years ago while living in London and attending the Royal Academy of Music. This year she performed opera as a part of the live entertainment. She also sang songs from “Carmen” for a radio station to promote the festival.

“The station got a caller from the Cayman Islands who said that I sang beautifully,” Ferrer said. “I was really surprised that people from the Cayman Islands were actually listening.”

Both Mocahbee and Ferrer plan to participate in the festival again next year. Mocahbee, who missed the festival in Spain due to classes, plans to submit a second film called, “The Laughing God.”

“It’s always interesting to watch your films with other films to see how your context compares to others,” Mocahbee said. “A lot of filmmakers at the festival are professionals. As a student, your work immediately goes into the pool of professional work.” What To Know

The film festival is Nov. 18 at Cosford Cinema. Day passes for the festival are available for $20 to the general public, $10 for high school and college students with a valid school ID and $10 for UM faculty and staff. It’s free for UM students with a valid Cane Card.

Jason Calcano may be contacted at j.calcano@umiami.edu.