The Green is there somewhere, hidden by the palm trees

The university has implemented a number of environmentally-conscientious changes around campus this year, but the average student hasn’t fully become aware of them. As a result, student involvement has been limited.

It’s like the old question: “If a tree falls in the forest when no one is around, does it really make noise?” Do the “Green U” initiatives really count if most students don’t notice them?

There are those items which are easily visible, such as the stickers on the Hurry Cane shuttles that announce their use of bio-diesel fuel and the new message at the bottom of university e-mails that requests readers to not print the correspondence unnecessarily. These initiatives, which are highly visible around campus, aren’t the only “Green U” programs that are in progress, but seem to be the only ones that students notice.

Making environmentally-sound alternatives available on campus is only half of the battle. Students and faculty need to be aware of these new initiatives, otherwise they may never be utilized to the fullest extent. As students, we’ve come to the University of Miami to learn about a variety of subjects, including responsible habits that we will continue to practice after graduation. Learning about the environment-how we are damaging it in our everyday activities and how we can change our actions-should be fostered within the academic environment. One step in this direction would be to publicize the “Green U” program and what environmentally-safe alternatives have been implemented but aren’t visible when walking around the palm tree oasis that is our campus.

While we admit that the university has in no way perfected the goal of going green (there are significantly fewer recycling bins than there are trash cans among other things), they have made the effort to change what the administration has the power to change. Now, it’s up to the students to walk instead of drive and to go out of their way to find the recycling bins that do exist and educate themselves about our environment.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...